Author Topic: Frances Wilhelmina and her brother George Horner where did they go ?  (Read 1143 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Wilhelmina and her brother George Horner where did they go ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian yes George Horner who died in 1905 was Frances's brother.
Well, that's half the answer to your original question.

I could only find one Frances on the 1911 census whose age  did fit 34 she was born in 1879 unfortunately the son William on it was aged 11 and hers wasn't born until 1906 .
On the census she was married 17 years had 9 children and only 5 survived they weren't married until 1906 which I know doesn't go for anything I've found a lot of little white lies in my research
34 doesn't fit very well. Someone aged 34 in 1911 would have been born in 1876/1877. And she must have been married very young if she'd been married 17 years.

There's a marriage of a George Sangster Smith to a Frances McGill in Edinburgh in 1892. That's much more likely to be the one you found.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »

Would you believe it Forfarian  I have George Sangster and Frances McGill in my tree they are in my my mother's side of the family.

Frances Horner is in my dads.

Jessie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Long arm of coincidence :)

I found my father's 5th cousin living next door to my mother's 3rd cousin in Canada - and neither family was aware of it until I told them!

And I have one definite and one possible instance of a distant relative of my father marrying a distant relative of my mother.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 March 20 18:37 GMT (UK) »

Think this is Frances in 1901 census.
Her mother Jeannie McKendry (McKendrick)/ Horner  was born in Kirkcolm Wigtownshire   she remarried in 1881 she was a widow when she married  Alexander Murdoch.
on 1901 census Alex  and Jeannie are living in Low Glencairn Street  Kilmarnock with Wilhelmina  Murdoch 22 , George Murdoch  21 and a few more children I believe to be Alex's.
It also states that Jeannie was born in Kirkcolm Wigtownshire  this and the fact that George's death in 1905 was registered by his step father Alex . Murdoch.
Unfortunately I am no further forward in finding what happened to Frances /Wilhelmina or her mother.

Jessie