Author Topic: Zoo animals 'under threat' from panic buying  (Read 802 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Zoo animals 'under threat' from panic buying
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
When I saw the title to this thread I seriously thought that it was suggesting that we might be eating elephant or crocodile meat or that black marketeers would be creeping round the zoos killing and butchering animals to sell.  :o
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 March 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Animals are being put at risk because panic buying and supermarket purchase limits is making it difficult to feed them, a zoo owner has warned.
Chris Moiser, who runs Tropiquaria Zoo in Somerset, said his staff had been "scouring the shops for food".
He said if food becomes "unaffordable" many zoos will have to close and he will have to "consider euthanasia of some, if not all" of his zoo's animals.
Mr Moiser urged people to donate spare fruit and vegetables to local zoos

Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-51972533

This seems very unlikely and they are probably just taking advantage of the current situation to try to get more people to donate food, which is fair enough.  Claiming to be considering euthanasing animals is going a bit far though.

.....panic buying and supermarket purchase limits is making it difficult to feed them....

Are there purchase limits on fruit and veg in the UK?

Debra  :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 March 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
2 or 3 of anything, fruit & veg included, depending on which supermarket you go to.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 March 20 12:12 GMT (UK) »
When I saw the title to this thread I seriously thought that it was suggesting that we might be eating elephant or crocodile meat or that black marketeers would be creeping round the zoos killing and butchering animals to sell.  :o

So did I, but didn't like to say.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I made the effort to look up the Tropiquaria Zoo and they have fewer animals than I have in my backyard (though cuter and not as bitey) so they probably do get their food from the supermarket. A chat with the manager is probably all that is needed and they have a GoFundMe page.

It actually looks like a really interesting place - their heating comes from BBC radio transmitters.

Debra  :)