Author Topic: Clustering  (Read 992 times)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clustering
« on: Saturday 21 March 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I am on Ancestry and have done the clustering. I am trying to find my maternal grandfather. Could some kind person explain to me what I do next, please. If you could keep the explanation simple I would be grateful. The clustering would seem like a really good thing but their potential is a little lost on me at the moment. Please, I need help.  ???

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clustering
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 20 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm not quite sure what you mean by clustering on Ancestry. As far as I know Ancestry doesn't provide a clustering facility. There are facilities to do this via Genetic Affairs

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804727.36

or My Heritage

Gadget

Add - I think there are some routines on Gedmatch as well
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Yes, Ancestry actually do do a clustering facility because I've done it. I saw how to do it on FB on the Ancestry DNA Matching page. I hadn't realised that you could do that until then. New things are appearing all the time on Ancestry I find.

Towdlass

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I managed to find my maternal grandfather via Ancestry DNA. It wasn't via clustering, it was using shared matches - a small group that didn't match with any one else - lots of paper research and some messages. I had to construct a few trees and look for locations, etc.

It took me a few months of intensive research but I git there. Now a few other matches are popping up on the other DNA sites which have chromosome browsers and which reinforce my findings.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Can you explain their clustering?

add - or do you put your data into Genetic Affairs prog - which I referred to earlier?

http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=2858

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 20 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just realised, we've spoken about this before:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809678.msg6694502#msg6694502

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »

I'm still trying to find my Paternal Grandfather, - and it's not down to lack of trying...

I have tried the Clustering on My Heritage, but got in a muddle and gave up:-(

I just hope that more people get bored during the enforced lockdown, and decide to Test!!

Who knows, - my 'Missing Link' might pop up:-)

Romilly ;D ;D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Ah Gadget so look for a small group which doesn't seem to fit in. Ok I can understand that. I'll have a go at that. As for how to do the clustering on Ancestry - go to your DNA results list and click on one of the closest ancestors, then click on their name, click 'add group'. Next give the group a name ie Line 1 and also choose a colour. Then click on shared matches and go down each one adding them to the group. Do this with each of the names on the list as far down only as might be relevant. (I hope that is understandable)
Romilli I have been hoping the very same thing. I don't have very many close results on my list so every day I hope that someone will have done the text who will help me break thru my brick wall.
Well onwards and upwards. I am now going to have a go at what Gadget suggested. Fingers crossed.