Author Topic: Mother's Day  (Read 1041 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mother's Day
« on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
May I have the honour of wishing all mothers a Happy Mothering Sunday tomorrow?  This will be the first time ever I have not had to buy a card/flowers/gift.  My mum left us over 30 years ago, but my mama-in-law died this year aged 96 in a care home in Canada.  Of course, we used to send her the card in May BUT, while in the UK (we did spend 20 years in Canada) I also used to send her the Mothering Sunday card.  So I, too, feel saddened this year.  I have no children of my own (no regrets) but it still tugs when I see the card displays this year.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mother's Day
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Sad to lose a loved one regardless of their age or how far away they lived.  Just try to think of the happy times  you shared. 

Both my Mum & Mother-in-Law are dead - and like you , I have no children - and no regrets about that either :-) 

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I've never commemorated Mother's Day/Mothering Sunday.  My mother died in 1970 and as far as I am aware there was no "big deal" at that time. 

I have one daughter, and I banned "Mother's Day" at a very early age - seeing prices etc. suddenly rising, I did not think it was acceptable to "scam" children.  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I've never commemorated Mother's Day/Mothering Sunday.  My mother died in 1970 and as far as I am aware there was no "big deal" at that time. 

I have one daughter, and I banned "Mother's Day" at a very early age - seeing prices etc. suddenly rising, I did not think it was acceptable to "scam" children.  :-X

Likewise. It was never a thing in our house, and it still isn't. My mum never wanted us to celebrate Mothers' Day for that very reason - she just saw it as an excuse for the florists and card manufacturers to make money out of children.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:23 GMT (UK) »
No children here either and no regrets but I'm isolating with my 92 year old mother at the moment so making her a mother's day card is proving a nice distraction and lining up the rest of her children to chat on Facetime tomorrow.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure your Mum will be absolutely thrilled with her card.  And how nice to have organised your siblings to chat to your mum on Facetime.  Have a wonderful day.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
   I also refused to let my children buy me "Mothers Day" gifts. They could get me a card (provided it said "Mothering Sunday" on it!) No special church service this year, and none of the family allowed near me!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I remember as a child I used to save my money and buy my mother some very tiny ornaments from a stall in the inside market. She used to tell me not to buy them for her but I enjoyed doing it because I loved her.
She had them for many, many years. I think I might have one in a box still in the loft.
This year it will be different. My children will come and stand in the garden to wish me well and, I am sure, bring me flowers and cards but we won’t hug or kiss....
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm not religious, and my mother is long gone, but I think the celebration is of Mothering Sunday. It is not a celebration engendered by the greeting card company.

Martin