Author Topic: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?  (Read 7420 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Some won't see or speak to anyone unless they go out. Some are looking after other old people.
There are community help groups being set up in some areas. Volunteers offer to fetch shopping and prescriptions or chat on the phone.

I agree with you Maiden Stone and Musicman and others. I know our adult children are really concerned about us and are trying to keep us safe. That is probably how Trystan feels.
I usually volunteer at a lunch club once a week and for some of those who attend it is their only opportunity to meet up, enjoy food, music , bingo etc. The volunteers get such satisfaction from the occasion too - serving people and listening to our favourite music as a bonus!
For many people who live alone, it is going to be so difficult not having some social contact or physical activity.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Take my own mother as an example.

She has two people who said would do her shopping and drop it off outside the back door. She still went out for newspapers.

Then our neighbour we told her that we could add things to our 'Click and Collect' at Asda. She told us she prefers the fruit and veg at M&S and that she's going to go on the bus. This is despite knowing not to go out. She's 86. Oh and "of course" she likes going to the shop for her newspaper.

Why oh why? These two are examples of over-70s despite being offered help with shopping, defy the instruction to stay at home.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't think many people quite understand how serious it is here yet

I agree - but, I'm responding by trying to explain how things are for the "silent majority" - of whom many will be in a similar situation to myself.  We still have to survive - perhaps those of the younger generation might like to come up with sensible solutions to our (the silent majority) problems. 

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:27 GMT (UK) »
What do you mean exactly?
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Musicman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »

I'm sorry if I didn't make my meaning clear enough.

Perhaps, Trsytan, your mother, like me, is sick and tired of being stuck indoors all the time and needs to get out for a while and see other humans.  How would you react to such "rules" if they were brought in to apply to those within a certain age group that includes you?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The reason I am still going out is that I have a seriously ill daughter who is awaiting surgery during the coming week - unless cv closes the operating facilities in the hospital.  I don't have any family near, and it's me who has to take her to hospital for her regular health-checks and occasional emergencies.  It's me who has to scour supermarkets for simple foods (such as rich tea biscuits) which she can tolerate, but which seem to have been stockpiled by people who don't actually need them and will probably end up throwing them out when the panic is over.  Just because someone is over 70 doesn't mean we don't have responsibilities - there must be tens of thousands of over 70s who are carers in the UK.  I am getting sick of people being ageist and judgemental, when they don't know the facts.  I would love to sit with my feet up for a few weeks and relax.  If only I could be in those shoes, but I'm not - I'm tired, and I'm worried, and I constantly feel utterly despairing and wishing this nightmare would pass.  And I don't need people questioning why I'm going out, thank you.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »

I'm sorry if I didn't make my meaning clear enough.

No, that's why I'm asking. Please explain as I'd like to understand.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Trystan, I’m giving you a virtual smack on the leg young man !

My daughter is a care worker.  Yesterday she was picking up prescriptions for her golden oldies who are staying home.  Queuing orderly in a freezing wind outside the chemist she spotted an elderly lady with a nasal cannula standing apart from the queue.  She left her place in the queue and went to ask if she was ok.  She took her to the head of the queue and told the others waiting that they could jolly well wait while this lady went first. She had been discharged early from hospital with portable oxygen and had no-one  to help her.

A post on our village Facebook page today from someone 75 miles from her elderly mother, worried to death that her mum would venture out for food. Tesco had denied her an on-line shop for her mother because she was doing the ordering and couldn’t prove it was for her mother and not herself.  She’s been doing her on-line shop for a long time. Fortunately several people offered help. We live in a friendly village.

Many older people have no-one, in these days many live alone and don’t even know who their neighbours are.  So, that’s why they are out, not from choice but necessity.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Find out if there is something like a Community Resilience Group operating or being set up in your area. Information on here is for Scotland but is relevant U.K. wide.
Ready Scotland website
"Preparing for and dealing with emergencies"
 "Helping in your community"
https://www.readyscotland.org/coronavirus/helping-in-your-community

An existing community group in my area has recruited a small army of helpers. There's a local volunteer contact for almost every street. Cards have been put through doors this week with contact's name + phone number. Local shops and businesses have been visited to find out how they can help. It's part of a town-wide network which is connected to a county-wide network, supported by the district council. Theres an article about it in local paper.
 Find out through your local councillor, M.P., website, Facebook, clergy or Age Concern if there's a scheme in your area.   
Cowban