Author Topic: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?  (Read 7443 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: Musicman

Perhaps, Trsytan, your mother, like me, is sick and tired of being stuck indoors all the time and needs to get out for a while and see other humans.  How would you react to such "rules" if they were brought in to apply to those within a certain age group that includes you?

Well well.

I'm under 70. You're sick and tired of being stuck in for a few days?

We're stuck at home on the same health advice. We are doing it.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Trystan I fully understand the seriousness of the situation, but please can you explain why you make a point of criticising the over-70s so specifically.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I think there may be many factors at play here.

1) Older people don't like being told what to do (ordered about) any more than young people do. Sometimes it's just human nature to dig your heels in and ignore orders.

2) Many of the older generation were brought up to get by themselves, and particularly not to be a "nuisance" to others.

3)In times of stress doing what you've always done, sticking to the routine can be a comfort.

4) People are a litle bit scared and a little confused, that can sometimes make us do things that are a little bit silly.

Of course, for the younger relatives of people at risk, this can also be difficult. You are understandably concerned about your elderly relatives and just want to wrtap them up in cotton wool and keep them safe. But just as your parents once had to let you go out and live your own life, with it's own risks, you have to let your parents do the same now.

Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Trystan I fully understand the seriousness of the situation, but please can you explain why you make a point of criticising the over-70s so specifically.

I had to check then that you were from the UK there.

The over-70s have been told to stay at home.
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Take my own mother as an example.

She has two people who said would do her shopping and drop it off outside the back door. She still went out for newspapers.

Then our neighbour we told her that we could add things to our 'Click and Collect' at Asda. She told us she prefers the fruit and veg at M&S and that she's going to go on the bus. This is despite knowing not to go out. She's 86. Oh and "of course" she likes going to the shop for her newspaper.

Why oh why? These two are examples of over-70s despite being offered help with shopping, defy the instruction to stay at home.

I said my piece in a previous post, however...

There is an old saying, You can lead a horse to water.  Many older people feel that age is already beginning to take away their independence.  That simple trip out for the newspaper may be the only exercise, fresh air and conversation with another human being that they will have that day.  And as we all know asking for help is a hard thing to do for some people whatever their age.

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
The nurses are begging people to stay at home.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »

It isn't a few days though is it, as over 70s have been asked to stay in for at least 12 weeks, presumably you aren't doing that?

Part of the reason that over 70s have to go out is the selfishness of younger people who have been stock piling and panic buying, leaving nothing on the shelves for older people. Remember a lot of over 70s have to exist on their old age pension and don't have the luxury of being able to buy three or four week’s worth of food. A lot don't have Internet access so cant shop on line and even if they could most stores don't have any slots for at least 3 weeks.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
My 80y+ in laws went out every single day before this
Library, swimming, crown green bowling, window shopping, days out to local markets with a pub lunch.

They are going stir crazy already. 
They've told us quite frankly, that they expect to get it at some point in the next 12 months, and they'd like to enjoy what little time they might have left. He's been to the supermarket 3 or 4 times since Sunday.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »

It isn't a few days though is it, as over 70s have been asked to stay in for at least 12 weeks, presumably you aren't doing that?

Yes, of course we will be doing.

It was announced on Monday, it's only been five days so far.