Author Topic: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?  (Read 7422 times)

Online ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the over-70s in the UK still going out?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Its not the over 70s spreading it they are the ones dying of it because of other Health issues.
If as Sheep you believe what you are being told by the Govt.

Remember, they grew up without State Benefits making them Overweight and Paying their Rent, re using washable nappies and eating worms and playing in the Dirt outside, living on rationed food,
with outside toilets and Newspaper to wipe their arses on.

Then sadly, they made the mistake to bring You lot,up  with Throw away Nappies,
disposable Wet wipes,
 creating a Generation with no Immunity to a Brainless Virus
 that can't comprehend, that when it kills it host
It kills it self.
What's  that about ?
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Trystan I fully understand the seriousness of the situation, but please can you explain why you make a point of criticising the over-70s so specifically.

I had to check then that you were from the UK there.

The over-70s have been told to stay at home.

I will rephrase my question. Why is the cut off point specifically 70?

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Ok, now I am getting cross  >:(. I will repeat my post from the State of Emergency thread.

A group of university students living in a shared house have all been very unwell. One lad phoned his father and said he thought they all had the virus, high temperatures, etc. This was last weekend.
Fortunately being young they felt better quite quickly.  So when they heard the pubs and clubs were going close, what did they do? All went out clubbing and drinking in Cardiff. 
Fortunately he called his dad to say he was coming home, all the others had already left to return to their respective homes.  I think you can imagine what his father said  >:( Needless to say he’s not coming home.

So don’t go telling us oldies we are irresponsible please.  Just to add I’m not 70 just yet but my husband is and we are socially distancing ourselves.  We will be out walking tomorrow but well away from other people, we don’t have a death wish!

Now I’m off to the party...the virtual one I hasten to add  :D. I need a bit of light relief.

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it depends on whether or not you think that delaying the inevitable is the right tactic.

While we wait firms will go out of business, leisure facilities close never to reopen.

I shall continue to follow the advice, note it is not yet an instruction, as far as I am able but I do not wish to see my children and grandchildren having to rebuild a broken society, I am unconvinced we are following the wisest course of action.

Mike

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:10 GMT (UK) »

Then sadly, they made the mistake to bring You lot,up  with Throw away Nappies,
disposable Wet wipes,
 creating a Generation with no Immunity to a Brainless Virus

Well I was put in Terry nappies. Disposable wet wipes hadn't been invented either.

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 March 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for giving me an insight into this.

The current figures indicate that the UK is about two weeks behind where Italy is with the Covid-19 Coronavirus. The death rate there is about 8%. Yesterday, in one day, some 800 people sadly died of it.

For current information about Coronavirus please go to:

www.nhs.uk/coronavirus

Take care,
Trystan

I'll draw a line here as this is how far as I'll be contributing to this post as I feel that others can offer better input.

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Because for many - especially those who live alone - spending 24/7 doing nothing but breathing in & out within the confines of four walls, for at least 3-months, probably longer, and with no visitors, is something they fear even more than death.

My Dad is in his late 80's, and following a serious heart attack last year had few pleasures left to begin with: 2 hours a week in the club, and watching sport on the telly.  Both now gone.  He's completely baffled by technology, so isolation means exactly that - no facebook, facetime or forums.  Just him.  Waking up alone, sitting alone, cooking alone, eating alone, watching tv alone, going to bed alone, and then repeat.  All with a frail, slow body, that needs a multitude of pills, a hearing-aid and a walking stick to keep it going.  That isn't life, its existing.

He understands the risks but also knows how much we love him, so we've come to a compromise.  He will still buy his newspaper from the corner shop (a 1-minute walk) and go for a gentle walk once or twice a day.  He's promised not to go to the shops, although I suspect he'll still pop into the local bakery and post office, which are on his walking route. 

He knows that he must, must, must wash his hands thoroughly before and after going out, and only speak to people from a distance of at least 6ft.

He'll also still come for Sunday lunch then spend a few hours sitting on our sofa rather than his own.  I won't be going out at all, other than to Dad's.  Me & hubby are now using separate bedrooms & bathrooms, and sitting on separate sofa's a good few feet apart.  Door handles, work surfaces etc are cleaned down at least twice daily, the downstairs loo is thoroughly cleaned after every use, and we now use paper towels instead of hand-towels. 

Should Dad still be unfortunate enough to catch this awful virus, at least his final weeks & months won't have been in isolated misery.  He won't want saving, he's made that clear. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:29 GMT (UK) »
The best place to check for all advice and updates is the official government website

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

As far as I can see on there it doesn't say that anyone HAS to stay in all the time, it strongly advises that over 70s and people who are vulnerable follow the advice about social distancing. It does say for the sake of mental health "You can also go for a walk or exercise outdoors if you stay more than 2 metres from others."
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 March 20 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

It's the same old British mindset that saw us through ww2. But instead of Hitler it's covid19.

OH and me are, at the insistance of junior and daughter, self isolating. Day 3 and i'm going stir crazy.

Daughter refused to let me take no1 member, 15 yr old autistic, of the demolition gang to karate yesterday. It was the one day I wanted to take him more than any other. It was his black belt grading. Should have been over 2 days in the dojo but the leisure centre closed fri night. Sensei took them to the park in the open air and did 2 days work in one. Put them in small groups and his did the 2km run first, then the skills test and fitness last. 100 press ups, 100 sit ups, 100 burpees and a shed load of star jumps.

He passed and is now black belt and I am one proud grandpa. So covid19 can kiss my a***.

John915

Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)