Author Topic: It's safe to read newspapers?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
It's safe to read newspapers?
« on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
There was a post on one of the coronavirus threads that really scared me. I can't remember who posted it but it said that the virus could be caught from newspapers and provided a link about people catching all sorts of nasty things from magazines in doctor's waiting rooms. Ever since I read it I've been frightened to touch newspapers or even stuff that's come through the post, including my magazine subscription.

However, when I started thinking about newspapers and who might handle them I realised that the vast majority of the process is carried out by machinery. Okay, someone touches the plastic wrapper that encloses them when they're delivered to the newsagent but then they're taken out in a block and placed in the rack. The only part of the paper that's touched (and only a few of them at that) is the outside sheet.

Today I have asked Google whether they are safe and am very reassured that the World Health Organisation no less, says Yes!

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/coronavirus-pandemic-newspapers-considered-safe-to-touch-says-world-health-organisation/news-story/174ec581d54136a6c7d545399ff929b9

So anyone like me who hardly dared enjoy their newspaper can now relax.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: It's safe to read newspapers!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »

I've no problem. I read mine online. It's cheaper and I'll read tomorrows newspaper later tonight.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 22:48 GMT (UK) »
There are so may frightening stories circulating that it's difficult to tell what's true and what's not.  I personally wouldn't worry too much about newspapers and what comes in the post; according to reports I've read, the virus isn't one of the adaptable viruses like flu.  What we DO know is that it can't survive soap and water because its outer capsule is broken down by soap.  Also, we know that it cannot survive outside a host body for an extended length of time.  Here is an extract from National Geographic about how coronavirus spreads - I do hope it helps to calm your fears:

The primary way people become infected with the coronavirus is from person-to-person transmission. This close contact in the form of a hug, handshake, or being in a packed public space enables infected individuals to easily spread their respiratory droplets, which are typically sneezed or coughed.

But because respiratory droplets are heavy, they typically fall to the ground easily. Depending on where they land, they could persist on a surface before being touched by a hand that carries the virus to a nose or mouth, leading to infection.

Chin up!
GS x
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »

I've no problem. I read mine online. It's cheaper and I'll read tomorrows newspaper later tonight.

;D ;D ;D ;D

I've already read them. I've even watched Sky's Press Preview.

I do pay a sub to my favourite one  :)

Agree with you GS - too many scare stories.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
The thing is, the way that people get infected by newspapers is by going to collect them, or by the person who has collected it.

Also the shopkeeper that handles it and the person who drove the van to deliver it.

Also, if there is an exchange of money, there is an interaction there too.

We know that the virus can survive (exceptionally perhaps) for three days on some surfaces, but generally the virus would be considerably weakened in dose on many surfaces after some three hours.

I've subscribed to a newspaper online as we are doing our bit to stay at home.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:24 GMT (UK) »

Agree with you GS - too many scare stories.

This post on my Facebook feed must count as fake news about fake news!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid there are so many scare mongering stories being spread by people who have suddenly become medical experts overnight and who post them on places like Facebook. I now check the official Government website and follow their advice.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 20 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a paper subscription but been offered free online access meantime. Still prefer a paper/paper so will be "shuffling" my 3 miles every morning, rain, hail or shine! What I have chucked is the, all-comers, self-selection of the morning rolls!  ;D

Skoosh.