Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« on: Saturday 21 March 20 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Useful stuff here.
Ready Scotland
"Preparing for and dealing with emergencies"
"Helping in your community"
"Community resilience groups"
https://www.readyscotland.org/coronavirus/helping-in-your-community
Also links to mental health charity Mind + other links.
There should be similar sites for your area.
Cowban

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Very useful thank you. There is a lot of help to stop the vulnerable, hopefully we'll hear of more projects just like this.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I noticed on the old post that there was people taking to the highlands in their caravans. We are caravanners and was really looking forward to the start of the season, but, although campsites are still operating, we have been advised that there will be no sanitary blocks open  ??? Surely they should close them altogether as these measures don't go far enough. We won't be taking out the caravan until the crisis is over. People  travelling around the country in their caravans and motor homes could spread the virus over a larger area....or are we being over cautious...I don't think so!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Yep complete and utter dangerous stupidity.

I am quite angry this morning.  When I woke up I discovered someone who is self isolating for 14 days due to having symptoms had a group of people over for drinks since they couldn't go out.  Then my daughter told me that her schoolmates had been posting on whatsapp about being out partying last night and some of the local pubs were still open.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Cumbria Police

Tourists urged to heed advice and stay home - 'Now is not the time for tourism'

Would-be tourists are being urged not to travel to the Lakes or other Cumbrian holiday destinations as the county urges people to follow Government advice aimed at limiting the spread of coronavirus.

Now that pubs, restaurants, cafes and non-essential shops and visitor attractions have been advised to close, the Lake District is no longer conducting business as usual.

Whilst it is encouraging that the Highways Agency have reported fewer vehicle journeys than normal, it is clear that we, along with other tourist areas such as Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, are continuing to experience an influx of travelling visitors.

The message comes from Assistant Chief Constable Andrew Slattery, the Chair of the Cumbria Local Resilience Forum - which is responsible for the multi-agency response to civil emergencies - and follows the Government steps taken yesterday to reduce the spread of coronavirus by closing businesses such as pubs, cafes and gyms.

He said: "Whilst we are looking at all measures to limit the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, I must urge people living outside the county not to visit. A national emergency shut-down of businesses and schools is not an excuse for a holiday.

"Cumbria County Council yesterday urged people to stay at home as far as possible to protect out NHS and save lives. I reiterate that advice and it is important that we all follow it.
“The health, social care and emergency services in Cumbria are resourced to serve the 500,000 resident population and will be stretched to breaking point by this crisis. Large numbers of visitors will only place an additional burden on these hard-pushed professionals.

"People are safest and their health and that of their families is best protected by staying at home and heeding advice on social distancing.

“These are unprecedented times and our first priority is the protection of life. People's lives must come first."

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Yep complete and utter dangerous stupidity.

I am quite angry this morning.  When I woke up I discovered someone who is self isolating for 14 days due to having symptoms had a group of people over for drinks since they couldn't go out.  Then my daughter told me that her schoolmates had been posting on whatsapp about being out partying last night and some of the local pubs were still open.

What is it about the word "isolating" that they don't understand?
I came on here to say that Chief Medical Officer for Scotland will be answering questions on "Broadcasting House" 9 a.m. Radio 4. I've switched radio on to listen to her. Recommended listening.
Scottish Govt. is to pass emergency legislation this week to close pubs.
Authorities on a Scottish island advised visitors at the start of last week to go home. 
Scottish Govt. minister on news now saying don't go to the Highlands. "It's quite simple. Stay at home!"
Cowban

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I listened to this interview last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0877mb2

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:41 GMT (UK) »
CMO for Scotland on "Broadcasting House" now giving her weekly briefing. Includes advice for:
 Pregnant women. This will change as more is learned about this group. More risky after 28th week.
People who are still going to pubs (in Scotland). Stark; don't.
Old people + younger ones at increased risk. O.K. to go for a walk as long as they stay a safe distance away from other folk.
A smaller number of high risk people who have particular very serious health conditions will be sent letters from their G.P.s this week. Advice for this sub-group is to strictly isolate themselves for 12 weeks.
CMO answered questions. e.g. newspaper delivery. She'll probably be on "Broadcasting House" again next Sunday and perhaps for the forseeable future. Essential listening.
NHS and NHS Scotland websites are updated as new information is released.

"BH" today has other useful & interesting Covid-related items e.g. interview with a lone sailor about coping with isolation; interviews with business owners.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
I've just watched live streaming of Sunday Mass from my church. Some other churches are doing the same. 2 clergy + 2 visible members of the congregation physically present. Distribution of Holy Communion took about 2 minutes. No hymns for the congregation to sing. However, in place of the usual final hymn was an instrumental recording of "Be Still, for the Presence of the Lord", with words on screen. It's a comforting hymn in this time of anxiety.
As well as being Mothering Sunday, 4th Sunday in Lent is SCIAF Sunday for the Catholic Church in Scotland. SCIAF is Scottish Catholic International Aid Fund. Celebrant's closing remarks asked the watching congregation not to neglect those in dire need at home and abroad, especially those reliant on local food-banks.
The Church of Scotland in my neighbourhood is also streaming a live service today. The minister has issued an appeal for donations to the food-bank operated by local churches.
Food-banks and charities all over Britain are struggling to cope in the present situation. Some won't survive - victims of Covid-19.  :(
Cowban