Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)  (Read 6680 times)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Oh well, if I cop it I can try and find my outstanding brick walls on the other side.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
The Caravan Club has just closed all of its sites. Some friends of mine were on one of them and have been unceremoniously thrown off!! It is so tempting to think that we can self-isolate in our motorhomes, completely missing the point that we are travelling and therefore adding to the risks for everyone.

I am completely in agreement with Scotland and The Lake District saying "Go away, we don't want you at the moment".

Jen - asthmatic in Cumbria. :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »
We pussy foot around too much in this country.

I've just heard from a friend that a couple who were holidaying in one of the Canary Islands (I forget which one) had been holed up in their hotel all day and went out for a stroll in the evening. They'd got no more than about 600 yards when stopped by a policeman, asked where they were going and politely told to go back to their hotel.

As far as I'm aware, the Europeans have not resorted to panic buying either.

What is it about the Brits? Are we naturally rebellious or just plain ignorant?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Calmac have just announced that only locals will be able to travel to and from the islands when they need to for essential supplies and business.  Anyone on the island can leave but no outsiders will be allowed over.

In answer to your question Jill, I think it's a bit of both.  Born I suspect from the idea of imperial superiority taught to so many generations for over 100 years.  The assumption that we are better than everyone, that no one can tell us what to do that we will be fine and so on.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I think there's also a fierce streak of independence* in there as well.

I'm in the danger age and health category and, having had a refusal from my chemist to deliver my medication, which I need this next week, I intend to catch a bus and go and pick it up myself. This, despite a note from my (much younger) neighbours offering any help I need, plus one of those leaflets through the door from another near neighbour ticking the shopping box. Both notes helped restore my faith in my fellow humans which has been on a steep downward slope since all this started.

I know I should take them up on their offers but I am not ill so why should I put them at risk rather than myself? They both have children. It doesn't feel right.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
The Caravan Club has just closed all of its sites. Some friends of mine were on one of them and have been unceremoniously thrown off!! It is so tempting to think that we can self-isolate in our motorhomes, completely missing the point that we are travelling and therefore adding to the risks for everyone.

I am completely in agreement with Scotland and The Lake District saying "Go away, we don't want you at the moment".

Jen - asthmatic in Cumbria. :D

I know up to the day before yesterday, the Camping and Caravanning Club where open with sanitary blocks closed, but that could have changed now. We have two breaks booked one of them for Easter. Needless to say, we won't be going anywhere in the caravan anytime soon. I'm surprised that it took so long for them to respond
given that travel is advised only where absolutely necessary, why risk further spread if the virus around the UK  ??? Yes we are disappointed but so are millions of others whose lives have been disrupted due to the current crisis.
We will share a bottle of wine in our caravan taking in the view of our garden and imagine that we are somewhere else...for now  ;D
Carol
Added: Just received an email to say that all Campsites will be closed with immediate effect, The Camping and Caravanning Club
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I think there's also a fierce streak of independence* in there as well.

I'm in the danger age and health category and, having had a refusal from my chemist to deliver my medication, which I need this next week, I intend to catch a bus and go and pick it up myself. This, despite a note from my (much younger) neighbours offering any help I need, plus one of those leaflets through the door from another near neighbour ticking the shopping box. Both notes helped restore my faith in my fellow humans which has been on a steep downward slope since all this started.

I know I should take them up on their offers but I am not ill so why should I put them at risk rather than myself? They both have children. It doesn't feel right.

Just accept their help. Risking being ill doesn't help you, them, the health workers or anyone else.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 March 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
So much for social distancing.....

Have you seen the pictures of the crowds that have flocked to Bournemouth, Brighton, Skegness and probably many, many more.............

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 22 March 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
From today's IOM Government Press Conference (16:00 Sunday 22nd):

All schools to close from end of school day tomorrow, Monday.
All pubs and clubs to close from midnight tonight.
Extended to all cafes and restaurants - but takeaway service allowed.
Island borders closed to non-residents.

Chief Minister makes plea to Manx people to change behaviour and says this “is no longer optional”.
He says to all - ”Do not go to friends for dinner”, “do not go to social gatherings”.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)