Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« Reply #99 on: Monday 23 March 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The (large) town next to mine has today closed its parks due to the huge numbers of people who went there over the weekend and did not practice social distancing. One comment that I wholeheartedly agreed with was that being told that we could take a walk in the park has led to large numbers of people who never normally take any kind of exercise going out to the park in the way that people do after New Year when they've decided to 'get fit'. This has spoilt it for everyone.

Also, the very pretty village of Osmotherley in North Yorkshire has been swamped with visitors who parked 192 cars in spaces allocated for 56. Apparently the village has a predominantly older population who, as a result of this, couldn't go out as they couldn't maintain the required distance. Similar thoughtlessness has gone on along our lovely coastline.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Can't believe this, Just heard on my local radio, a school has had the entire contents of their freezer stolen AND took the freezers as well and their dried ingredients, how low can some people stoop

Words fail me

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma's 1920 School Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
My local County Council has detected a large increase in the amount of food waste being sent for recycling. It has reached levels normally seen after Christmas. A great deal of this increase is made up of fresh food, some still in its wrapping.
Now then, I wonder who is responsible for this and where the food has come from?. It really didn't take a genius to realise that, at some point, this would be the result of panic buying. Easy come, easy go.
Selfish ********.  >:( >:(
 :)

I wondered how long it would be, before awful reports of this nature occurred.

Panic buying denied Food Banks of stock and now ...
Raw & Cooked food waste is adding to Greenhouse gas emissions and global warming too!

Whilst some of the world is starving!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:14 GMT (UK) »

So pleased to hear you have your Sainsbury's delivering coming... it's quite a stress wondering how long you're going to gave to wait...

I placed an order with Waitrose last week but delivery slot long way ahead but if I collect it it's still 13th April at the earliest and even then some items not available and others been removed I keep amending it day by day.

Waitrose aren't doing special slot for 70+ and vulnerable as Sainsburys are. I've just checked.

I've just spoken to our Waitrose and they are doing 8am - 9am tomorrow morning for over 70's.

They have been so helpful today... I have friends/neighbours who live 6 months here and6 months in SA. They are 75 and 80, they were due back on Easter Monday but were advised to bring that forward so are arriving on Wednesday morning.... they always have a Waitrose delivery on the day they arrive but if course this time it's not going to be until 18th April.... they will have to remain isolated so have no opportunity to get essentials to last them so they gave me a list....notbeing too keen to go into stores more than necessary when I explained all this they are putting together the items for me to just pick up and pay for first thing. I think they have been so helpful and it's restored my faith in people.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
We live in a small quiet coastal village and decided we would venture out for a short walk along our deserted beach this afternoon.  We agreed that if it was too busy - you can see from the clifftop before you get there - we would return home straight away.  We walked about 2 miles and saw about a dozen people, mostly walking dogs.  EVERYONE moved away when we got close and one couple crossed the road to avoid us when we approached on the return journey.  We even laughed and said how good we were at 'doing our bit for Boris'. 

We felt we had achieved an ideal situation.  We both felt safe but we had some fresh air and exercise in a safe environment and now feel ready for anything.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

It's special delivery slots that I was referring to.I know about the 8-9 in store oldie hour. We are trying to avoid that as we are keeping our distance.

Waitrose are not, as yet, offering delivery slots for 70+ and vulnerables.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Ok, got my wires Crossed! I was impressed that just a phone call explaining the situation they responded in such a positive way.

It's so hard to know what to do for the best... I wouldn't normally do a 'weekly' shop in Waitrose as they're expensive, I usually use Lidls for most... going to venture out in the morning and hope I can get what we need!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma's 1920 School Case
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I wish the media had kept this totally to themselves. We wouldn't be in any much more danger, and we certainly wouldn't be worrying about it.

The feeling I get, out and about during the last few days is half the people in the UK are in a state of panic and half couldn't care less. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Martin

Expect the NHS and our Services to have to deal with a whole range of other Medical symptoms too, stirred up by the TV reports!

It is not nice to find yourself suddenly in A & E and the machine's alarm sounding and your Wife to be told he could have a stroke!

Corona Virus is extremely serious, so Listen and Follow Government Advice!

Keep safe, all the best, Mark

Added: Corona Virus is gravely serious, so Listen and Follow Government Advice, Chief Medical Officer, Official Adverts and NHS Advice! I have deleted & altered parts Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:45 GMT (UK) »
It is absolutely awful - don't act as if it's just flu - there's a vaccine for that.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***