Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 22 March 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Can any of you RootsChatters give your opinion on my situation please.

My husband is 79 years old, I am 58.  He has a heart condition but it doesn't cause him much problem but I consider him a high risk.

I have started working from home because I don't want to go to work and come home and potentially infect him.  So, I have considered us both self-isolating for three months.

Today, Boris Johnson seems to be saying that the 'over 70's but not the most vulnerable' group need to stay in doors as much as possible and be careful if they do go out by staying 2 metres from everyone else. 

So, where does that leave me?  I want to protect my husband but we also need to buy food, go to the bank, get prescriptions etc.  Does this mean we need someone to do that for us or is it OK for me to do these things? 

I had planned to go shopping later this week, take OH with me in the car, leave him in the car or allow him to wander around a remote part of the carpark as long as he doesn't interact with anyone.  But then I will be in a busy supermarket and could possible infect him when I come out. 

Am I being a bit over-sensitive about this?

Rishile
Over-sensitive? Not at all.
From what you say, your husband is clearly high risk. Might he be on the list that will be circulated soon?
I would say - if you can get someone to do the shopping etc, do so. If not - leave your husband at home while you go out to do the essential jobs, and then have a good wash when you get home. It wouldn't be much fun for him to sit in the car park. Self isolate as much as possible.

Thank you Mike.  The only reason I said he could sit in the car/car park was for a bit of fresh air and variety of scenery.  He accepts he won't go in the supermarket.

I don't think he is in the higher category (I could be wrong).  He had a heart attack four years ago but hasn't had any problems at all for over two years now.  He is very fit and active.

Maybe he could sit in the back seat of the car whilst I drive home  ;D

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 22 March 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »

Over-sensitive? Not at all.
From what you say, your husband is clearly high risk. Might he be on the list that will be circulated soon?
I would say - if you can get someone to do the shopping etc, do so. If not - leave your husband at home while you go out to do the essential jobs, and then have a good wash when you get home. It wouldn't be much fun for him to sit in the car park. Self isolate as much as possible.

I agree. There will be someone in your area who can help with shopping - loads of support groups cropping up. The important thing is to take care of your husband and of yourself. Not over-reacting at all.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »

There is no way I will be tested on this basis but how do I know if I have had it?

Raised temp and/or new persistent dry cough - mildly

Neither of those things, though I do have a permanent persistent cough, so I could have missed that aspect of it. I usually know when "my" cough changes to something which could be infection related but not always. About a week ago, I felt just a tiny bit feverish but it was minimal and I decided that I was just being paranoid.

I have a permanent cough too, a left over side effect from either statins or a kidney medication I took some years ago. It has never gone away.

I do feel hot, but only at certain times - suffering menopausal flushes!
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe this ...... I don't believe this...... I don't

I have been trying to get a delivery slot at Sainsburys since Thursday - nothing for 3 weeks. Each time I went in, It was the same. I also registered with all the other supermarkets, just in case

but....

I went into the  Sainsburys site 15 mins ago and lo and behold -  slots tomorrow. I'm expecting delivery of my goodies tomorrow at 10.am -11am..

There was only one thing that they reckoned they'd not got.

Fingers crossed

:D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, great news. I read they are recruiting drivers very quickly.  Also, someone applied for a job at 7pm, and got it by 10pm.

Martin

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I received an email from Sainsbury today saying that they would be having additional slots for Over 70's (sorry if it doesn't apply, Gadget).  The email said they would be notifying everyone on their system that it would apply to and we would receive that later today or tomorrow.

Rishile
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
We are both 75 and have some health issues but none that I would admit to  :)

I'll report back tomorrow.

I'm wondering if they are going to do the packing overnight/ early hours before the hoards arrive.

It's a relief because I felt very vulnerable earlier in the week. 

PS - they didn't inform me as they had no idea how old I was.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Gadget - if you have a Nectar card they will know.

Rishile
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
We went to Sainsbury’s at lunchtime today, very quiet it was,  they are going to have a lot of flowers on special  offer  ;D ;D

But we got everything on our list except washing up liquid, kept the distance at the checkout.

I have read again the updated advice on the gov website, and cast aside what the newspapers say, what the bbc says and interpreted it carefully.

I shall avoid “ social gatherings” that I interpret as two or more people chatting, mixing closely together, as in pubs clubs dances etc, but we will continue to shop.

I notice the avoid unnecessary travel is not actually there, so you are ok in the car,

Am I being irresponsible?

Mike