Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)  (Read 6734 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 5)
« Reply #72 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »
THey only seem to have had to substitute a few things - some with organics, 1 x 6 eggs rather than a 10 egg carton, an organic sweetheart cabbage for a standard one, cushelle loo paper rather than Sainburys own make ..... :)

They were praised on the radio for doing this for the vulnerable over 70s and, most likely, those in the very vulnerable group.

We are very lucky that we can afford food. Remember the food banks that are struggling. We made a contribution to our local one last week. It's one of our special charities.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »

We are very lucky that we can afford food. Remember the food banks that are struggling. We made a contribution to our local one last week. It's one of our special charities.

And imagine what it must be like in a refugee camp at the moment. Minimal health care, erratic food supply, poor sanitation and no chance of social distancing or isolation.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »
So pleased to hear you have your Sainsbury's delivering coming... it's quite a stress wondering how long you're going to gave to wait...

I placed an order with Waitrose last week but delivery slot long way ahead but if I collect it it's still 13th April at the earliest and even then some items not available and others been removed I keep amending it day by day.

In the mean time I'm going to have to get some fresh items in as not enough to last till 13th and I'm dreading going out... will make sure I get there b4 opening time when queues shorter 🤞

I just wish those that have over bought would think of the pressure they're putting on others and the supermarket staff...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:36 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Gadget. I help to run one, and it is really difficult at the moment! Donations are down, usage is up, and to buy supplies is expensive and has to be done via the local supermarket manager at the moment.
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Everyone should watch I, Daniel Blake and think how luck we are.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 23 March 20 09:27 GMT (UK) »

We have that on DVD and is on our list to re-watch over the next week or so.  It really made me think differently about unemployment and benefits.  Was there a follow up film?

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 23 March 20 10:12 GMT (UK) »

We have that on DVD and is on our list to re-watch over the next week or so.  It really made me think differently about unemployment and benefits.  Was there a follow up film?

Rishile
"Sorry we missed you"  about the gig economy and delivery drivers. Another very good film but maybe not with quite the same impact as "I, Daniel Blake". Very thought-provoking though.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 23 March 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
So pleased to hear you have your Sainsbury's delivering coming... it's quite a stress wondering how long you're going to gave to wait...

I placed an order with Waitrose last week but delivery slot long way ahead but if I collect it it's still 13th April at the earliest and even then some items not available and others been removed I keep amending it day by day.

I don't know if Waitrose is the same as Sainsburys but in the past on Sainsburys I have set up my order a week in advance and checked it out.  I then go back into it during the week adding things to it but I do not check the amended order out until the day before the delivery. 

That way any items that go out of stock and then return later in the week don't go from my shop.  I think at the moment I may do my final checkout a day earlier than usual just in case of internet problems.  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 23 March 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Follow all the Government precautions and Official Advice.

Wash hands regularly and keep a distance from those around us etc. The message is extremely clear, but some are still ignoring it!

UK Influenza kills 8,000 each year.

So everyone needs to stop panicking and just buy what they need and go shopping as they normally would, pre-Corona (as they did before the Virus).

Our family has two NHS Trust Staff. I am absolutely astounded at what Government Departments have considered, dealt with and put in place. I keep thinking I'd never have thought of this, or that.

The Buyers have been working hard for over two months in our Trust and everyone throughout the NHS is committed and valued and working very hard.

But before anyone strips shelves of food and supplies, please think of others who are essential workers, also elderly and vulnerable too.

I can only think pictures on TV from Italy and elsewhere are whipping up fear and anxiety here in the UK.

My heart didn't feel right, went on my monitor and my Blood Pressure was significantly higher yesterday, I didn't call anyone, I had a lie down (no TV or radio) and after four hours my Blood Pressure returned to acceptable readings.

I feel some of us are creating anxiety in ourselves, by watching TV news too much.

I am switching off my TV now, except for Prime Minister Briefings and Official Announcements. I feel TV is causing the fear and panic in the UK.

My neighbour works for a main Supermarket and some people have been rude if one item is out of stock. What is happening, surely we can eat something else?

Brits in WW 2 were always resourceful, but we have kind of allowed ourselves to watch and follow it on TV and Social Media, which has created panic and anxiety in ourselves (sometimes before we even realise it).

We have top companies working on special equipment and I am sure UK Government is mindful of our needs.

Please try not to panic, nor be anxious, it only makes it worse for both ourselves and others.

Take great care all, Mark