Author Topic: Price hikes  (Read 416 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Price hikes
« on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:25 GMT (UK) »
My goodness me, have some people no shame.  I found a listing on ebay for 12 boxes of Kleenex Ultra Soft tissues.

Price being asked - £77.85 that is £9.34 per box.

Outrageous  :o  I reported the item but I have no doubt that there are many other items being sold at hugely inflated prices.

These sellers are of course taking advantage of the shortage of items due to others panic buying.

At least supermarkets can't do that as far as I am aware.

You may be interested in this article I found published on the 18th March.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/philosophy/coronavirus-britain-stockpiling-supermarket-toilet-paper-panic-buying-uk
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Price hikes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Good morning,

I have seen or heard several reports of over charging. One was a corner shop who had purchased a huge amount of loo roll. The packs were all price marked at £2.49, the shop was selling them at £4.99. As far as i'm aware that is illegal, if something is marked at one price you cannot then mark it and sell it at a higher price.

You can be sure that this is going on all over the country. Much as I hate to say it, most of these shop keepers are from or originated in the Indian sub continent. I recently watched a video from an unknown cash and carry in London. It showed dozens of Sikh men taking as many huge packs of loo rolls as they could get on there trolleys. All no doubt destined for corner shops and inflated prices. A percentage of what went from supermarkets was bought by the same type of people and not families.

When I worked I delivered to several shops where all the milk and bread was purchased from supermarkets in bulk. But the shops are helpless to stop it.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »

You can be sure that this is going on all over the country. Much as I hate to say it, most of these shop keepers are from or originated in the Indian sub continent.

Your evidence for this? I've not seen a statistical breakdown of profiteers by ethnic origin anywhere.
A random youtube video doesn't cut it.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Much as I hate to say it, most of these shop keepers are from or originated in the Indian sub continent. I recently watched a video from an unknown cash and carry in London. It showed dozens of Sikh men taking as many huge packs of loo rolls as they could get on there trolleys. All no doubt destined for corner shops and inflated prices.

Sikhs are noted for their kindness and generosity towards others. It is equally likely that these items were destined for free distribution to people unable to get out of their houses.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk