Author Topic: Refunds for cancelled event  (Read 1158 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Refunds for cancelled event
« on: Sunday 22 March 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I had booked tickets for five performances in 2020 at a small local theatre. While they haven't cancelled the whole season yet, two plays lie in the period from march 13th to end of May which they have cancelled. They offered three options, full refund, leave it as a credit in my theatre account against future performances later in 2020 and in 2012, or donate all or part of ticket price to the theatre (it is a registered charity, run largely by volunteers). As I made a donation when I ordered my tickets for the season, which wasn't being refunded, I decided to leave it as a credit against future bookings - this would avoid the theatre having to pay out cash at this difficult time.

After I did this I had two thoughts: What if the theatre went out of business completely and what if I was unfortunate and died before I could use the credit - would my executors be able to access this credit (as cash) and add it to my estate?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Refunds for cancelled event
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
We're in a similar position and we'd rather have credits for a future performance than our money back. We love our local theatre (Theatre by the Lake, Keswick) and they will be suffering massive loss of income at the moment. We want them still to be there when this is all over.
If we die in the meantime - well, the theatre can consider it as a legacy donation!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
My local Literary Festival due in May was cancelled so I will be converting my refunds into books from the local bookshop who organise the festival and for those in isolation they will deliver if local; lucky me I'm about a mile from them.  First book will land on my doorstep on Monday.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »
We too have tickets for events throughout the year, from now until December. Events such as The Hollies, Ball and Boe (live cinema transmission), International Eisteddfod, Froncysllte MVC, Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets and the inevitable panto at Christmas.
I think that's most of them but there may be another one or two somewhere.
I'm sure the majority will be cancelled/postponed but I'm undecided what to do about refunds.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
We belong to several clubs and other organisations, both local and national, all of which have had to cancel meetings and events or close facilities since lockdown - and of course have no date as to when they will resume.
Obviously ticketed events were refunded like RHS Flower shows
English Heritage was offering a 3 month membership extension for existing members and the National Trust had a 25% discount on renewal, both reflecting the time their properties were closed. The 5 (!) gardening clubs I belong to have all rolled over membership, so we get a free year as there have been no meetings since March (late Feb for those whose meetings fall late in the month) and no Flower Shows.
However our local U3A branch has decided to charge the full membership renewal for the membership year which started last month. I don't see how they can justify this. No speaker meeting have been held since February, so no costs associated with speaker fee and Hall hire. They have no date yet when they can resume. The hall is crowded normally, so social distancing will not be possible unless they vastly reduce numbers. They have talked about Zoom meetings, but nothing happened about that yet. A couple of interest groups have had on line meetings, but not the Family History group I belong to. 
It cannot be an edict from the National U3A, because the branch in a neighbouring town have extended their subscription for a full year. And they started monthly meetings by Zoom in August.
I don't understand how my branch can justify the charge with no outgoings for the last six months.
Has anyone had similar experiences?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:45 BST (UK) »
We have membership to both English Heritage and NT... I was pleased to see that EH had extended membership by the 3 months as you mentioned Lizzie...
 NT on the other hand I don't feel have been very accommodating our membership renewal was at the very beginning of March before all the lockdown was thought about so we paid the full amount for joint seniors membership and obviously weren't able to use it again for some considerable months... we've not heard from them as to whether it will be extended or indeed any reductions next year...
My local WI hasn't functioned with any meetings online or otherwise since February.... not sure about our annual membership. As we use our village hall for our meeting, it's an old Victorian school it's been shut since March and it's too small to accommodate members under current distancing rules..
Whilst my OH has been able to play golf, initially on a limited basis after several months of not being open... the only concession being made re his membership is they're not putting the fees up this year!
Early on I had several events I was attending and was given a full refund without me actually asking...
It's very sad to hear about the theatres not being able to put on events and for any that do it's going to be a real test putting all necessary rules in place let alone rehearse for events!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
The National Trust has some scheme, buried deep on their website
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/help-with-your-membership-payments-due-to-coronavirus
 - looks like 25% off next year's renewal. So I suppose that equates to three months worth.

I am life member of both NT and EH, but I did get an email from EH saying they had extended my membership by 3 months!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
Lizzie L, did you pay for the tickets by credit card and did they cost more than £100? If so you're protected if they go bust by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-can-i-get-my-money-back-if-a-company-goes-bust
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I see that would cover me for the two shows in spring which I accepted a credit for from small local theatre.  We had another booking for two performances at Stratford next week, the tickets have been refunded, but our hotel was booked last year on a no-cancellation basis. I doubt that would have been covered by section 75. It was paid for by credit card and was over £100 as it included advance payment for breakfasts for the two nights. The hotel wouldn't refund but I can change the dates to next year which was good of them because they had no obligation to do so in the T & C.