Author Topic: Using Skype to keep in touch  (Read 836 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Using Skype to keep in touch
« on: Monday 23 March 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Skype is a program that enables two or more people to have a private video conference from tablets or computers with a microphone, speakers and a Web camera. Other similar programs are available.

Despite having worked in IT for most of my career I had never use Skype until today. I have a friend, who was a captain of industry, but had very little experience of computers. He has a tablet. We spent an hour on the phone, during which I talked him through downloading the program, configuring it (based on my total lack of experience of the program), and within 45 minutes we were able to see each other and speak to each other. If you're worried about keeping in touch with friends or family do give this a try, and I'm sure somebody in your family will be able to provide the same limited experience that I had!

As well there are many tutorials on YouTube, although it might take you a while to find one that isn't presented by a noisy would be game show presenter.

If you have any problems I am sure you will get adequate support from other Rootschat Skype users.

Martin

guest189040

Re: Using Skype to keep in touch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I used Skype for many years to keep in touch with family.

A tip I can give is do learn how to turn on and off the video display and the microphone, sometimes after an update these can be muted.

Alternatives to Skype are Google Duo, Whats App and Facetime.

Facetime is an Apple to Apple video chat service that works very well, on Mother’s Day we Facetimed our Daughter who just happened to be on the Moors outside the small town where she lives with her kids.

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Martin - it is simple technology for everyone. 

I have been Skypeing with people from all over the US and Canada, Europe, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand and everywhere in between for the last 10 years or more. 

A couple in our village have Sunday lunch each week with their son, DiL and grandchildren via Skype. 

And you can turn the camera off! If you are less than photogenic first thing in the morning. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 20 15:30 GMT (UK) »
One other benefit of Skype is that you can share your screen, so can display documents and photos.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 19:31 GMT (UK) »
My daughter has been using Zoom for her conference calls whilst working from home & is very impressed by it (we've all used Skype in the past) She told us to download it for Mother's Day but annoyingly another daughter has just bought a Chrome book & she says Zoom isn't compatible. So we ended up using Skype, it was a bit hit and miss as I think the Internet had a lot of traffic, but we had fun catching up. Still haven't tried Zoom but we've now got plenty of time to learn.....
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:05 GMT (UK) »
My dad is in his late 80's, lives alone, and has neither a smart phone nor a computer - and even if he did he wouldn't know where to begin. 

We've just bought him an Amazon Echo Show, and I can definitely recommend it to anyone worried about an older, non-tech relative.  My niece did the initial set-up, but after that Dad was away with it in no time as the voice commands meant no fiddly menu for him to remember.  As well as enjoying video chats, he's also discovered that Alexa can play him a nice bit of Doris Day whenever he fancies - bonus :D

I also feel more secure knowing that if he has a fall and can't get to his 'normal' phone, he can ask Alexa to ring for help.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.