Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)  (Read 14815 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 March 20 21:29 GMT (UK) »
We can take an hour or so on a short walk.  ;)

Has anyone noticed how a walk has different meanings for different people,  friends come back from a walk and if you ask what they saw you can get a reply, oh we were walking, we didn’t stop to look, we did six miles, 8060 paces, average speed 2.976 miles an hour.

Others will list a dozen different birds, twenty interesting wild plants, a distant view, and they’ve only been a mile and taken two hours.

Mike

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 March 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Have also been in lockdown for over a week. Been out once to get flu jab and that was yesterday.
I had to stay in my car and wait for 10 minutes then i was allowed in. Whole place empty. Saw nurse got jab and then back to my car for 20 minutes. Was then told i could home. No stopping on the way.

Had to get a friend to pick up my medicine.

I know if i stick to the rules i will get through this. It's not hard just use commonsense.

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 March 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Dearest Rosemary,

It was a limpid dreary day, hung as in a basket from a single dull star.  I thank you for your letter.  Outside, I perceive what may be a collection of fallen leaves tussling against a trash can.  It rings like jazz to my ears.  The streets are that empty.  It seems as though the bulk of the city has retreated to their quarters, rightfully so.  At this time it seems very poignant to avoid all public spaces.  Even the bars, as I told Hemingway, but to that he punched me in the stomach, to which I asked if he had washed his hands.  He hadn’t.  He is much the denier, that one.  Why, he considers the virus to be just influenza.  I’m curious of his sources.

The officials have alerted us to ensure we have a month’s worth of necessities.  Zelda and I have stocked up on red wine, whiskey, rum, vermouth, absinthe, white wine, sherry, gin, and lord, if we need it, brandy. 

Please pray for us.  You should see the square, oh, it is terrible.  I weep for the damned eventualities this future brings, the long afternoons rolling forward slowly on the ever-slick highball.  Z says it’s no excuse to drink, but I just can’t seem to steady my hand.  In the distance, from my brooding perch, the shoreline is cloaked in a dull haze where I can discern an unremitting penance that has been heading this way for a long, long while. And yes, amongst the cracked cloud line of an evening’s cast, I focus on a single strain of light, calling me forth to believe in a better morrow. 

Faithfully yours F Scott Fitzgerald

The above was written by Fitzgerald 100 years ago in 1920 when quarantined in France with Spanish flu. Cabin fever, panic buying (of booze), hand washing, folk still frequenting bars and writing it off as a minor flu. No shortage of toilet paper, but otherwise does this ring any bells?
Elwyn

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 March 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Official guidelines:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874714/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf

Conflicting information on whether we should go to work tomorrow.

The link posted by Gadget says:
Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

Sadiq Khan says:
Travelling to work only if you work in a critical industry like the NHS
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2020-03-23/sadiq-khan-everyone-must-now-stay-home-only-leave-if-essential/

???
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Official guidelines:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874714/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf

Conflicting information on whether we should go to work tomorrow.

The link posted by Gadget says:
Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

Sadiq Khan says:
Travelling to work only if you work in a critical industry like the NHS
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2020-03-23/sadiq-khan-everyone-must-now-stay-home-only-leave-if-essential/

???

I’d say it’s a question of life or death,  is your work more important than keeping yourself, your family or your neighbours safe and potentially alive..?  If the answer is yes, you go to work, if not you stay at home.

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Suey,

Keeping everyone safe is obviously the most important, but these conflicting statements will cause unnecessary confusion for many people.  If I listen to Boris I should go, if I listen to Sadiq I should stay home.  I wonder which version my employer is listening to.

I will have to phone them in the morning.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 March 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The above was written by Fitzgerald 100 years ago in 1920 when quarantined in France with Spanish flu. Cabin fever, panic buying (of booze), hand washing, folk still frequenting bars and writing it off as a minor flu. No shortage of toilet paper, but otherwise does this ring any bells?

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/this-side-of-paradise-a-letter-from-f-scott-fitzgerald-quarantined-in-the-south-of-france

NOTE: This is a work of parody,  and is not an actual letter written by Fitzgerald.

Debra  :)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 March 20 23:21 GMT (UK) »
My 3 piece suite went away last week to be recovered, tomorrow I was due to have a carpet laid before the suite returns, all cancelled, so I feel as if we are living in chaos, dismantled  the table and moved furniture out of the lounge today only to be told at 6.30 it is all cancelled, still we won't be having visitors so I don't mind the disruption, but for how long?, all bad timing on my part but we weren't to know

Felt really sorry for the carpet laying company, they had a house to lay carpets in for a new mother of a 3 day old baby moving into a new home tomorrow, can't be done

But as long as we all obey the instruction it should all work out for everyone

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London