Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)  (Read 14814 times)

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Just got a text from HM Govt to Stay at Home.

Being sent out on all mobile networks apparently.

I confess upon reading the message my first thought was that it shows how serious the situatuion has become, but as I started typing this post I wondered if it were in fact some new form of scam (the message includes a link to the list of exemptions). Checked BBC News and there is a story about it, so it appears it is legitimate, and not a scam.

Sad reflection that one is suspicious of even Government messages.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Here in Cyprus we had the lockdown you've been told to do for a couple of weeks but got stricter last night. We also have to carry ID around with us.

MOT - here they have extended the date for 3 months if your MOT is due under lockdown.

I checked the government website this morning - looks like they've only done that for HGV etcs here, not private cars - but it might change.

At present, MOT centres remain open and your car must have a valid MOT if you are driving it. However, MOT tests for buses and HGVs etc. are already suspended due to coronavirus, the same may happen with MOTs for cars soon.

That is not the whole story, even if an allowance is made you would still have to check with your insurance company to ensure they would still cover you without proof your car is roadworthy. Which is how they look at an MoT even though it only proves that at the time the car was tested.
You could find your insurance was void if you did not have a valid MoT (as some people have found when taking their cars for an MoT in normal times).

Cheers
Guy

Just had a call from the garage  where my MOT was booked, they are closing as of this afternoon for the foreseeable future as are all their other branches. So now I have to find somewhere else that can do it. Don't hold out much hope
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:14 GMT (UK) »

My lounge is bare awaiting a carpet due to be fitted today, well it won't, all furniture out except 2 garden chairs we sat on last night, so we have no idea when the carpet or suite will return, one good thing is I don't have to hoover or dust the lounge, oh joy!!

Reminds me of moving into this house from rented furnished accommodation, half a lifetime ago. Luckily, we'd bought a pair of folding garden chairs and kept some removal boxes for makeshift furniture. A sofa, ordered in plenty of time to be ready for when I moved in, was missing in the supply line for weeks. Bought a sun lounger which acted as a temporary sofa substitute. Pretend you're starting out in your first home on a tiny budget.
Jump to the present. The new bed I ordered is in a warehouse somewhere. I'm sleeping on sofa. It's deja vu.    :)
Cowban

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »

MOT - here they have extended the date for 3 months if your MOT is due under lockdown.

Just had a call from the garage  where my MOT was booked, they are closing as of this afternoon for the foreseeable future as are all their other branches. So now I have to find somewhere else that can do it. Don't hold out much hope

Northern Ireland has had problems with MOTs recently. The reasons are not coronavirus related but to do with Health & Safety, but the bottom line is no MOTs have taken place for a couple of months. The Government dealt with the problem by passing an MOT Exemption Order and has issued exemption certificates to owners of vehicles due to get an MOT, exempting that vehicle until 4th August (in my case anyway). I expect GB will do something similar. Possibly it isn’t top of the Government’s list today, given the scale of changes being introduced but it’s a possible solution.

Elwyn

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »
My lounge is bare awaiting a carpet due to be fitted today, well it won't, all furniture out except 2 garden chairs we sat on last night, so we have no idea when the carpet or suite will return, one good thing is I don't have to hoover or dust the lounge, oh joy!!
We, too, are awaiting fitting of a carpet and delivery of sofas. Fortunately, our fitting wasn't due until Friday, so we hadn't removed all the old stuff (was intending to do that tomorrow). Just had the least surprising call, cancelling it all. Just hope they are still solvent when this is all over.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Why do people make such rubbish up about a serious illness?

There's a post circulating on the internet claiming that you can self-diagnose by holding your breath for ten seconds. If you can do this, you're safe.  What utter nonsense.
The same post says that drinking hot drinks every 15 minutes can also kill the virus. Equally nonsensical.

Why don't people fact check before spreading dangerous nonsense like this?

I saw this, plus something advising against eating ice cream! ??? ???

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I still fail to see what people don’t understand about GO HOME and STAY AT HOME.  Not difficult is it.?

Why expect B&Q , Sports Direct your garage, el to be open  >:(. You are safe at home why shouldn’t staff in non-essential work places be any different !
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Listening to "World at One" on Radio 4. Lots of questions & answers about lockdown. One was about M.O.T. Garages are on list of businesses which may remain open.
B.t.w., bicycle shops are also on the permitted list. "bicycle shops" is duplicated on the list. It's obvious the civil servants wrote the document in a hurry. e.g. American spelling of "meters" instead of "metres".
"You & Yours" phone-in topic was how your life has changed due to Covid-19. Some calls were sad and sobering.
"Woman's Hour"is naturally focusing on how it's affecting women. Interesting observation; a high proportion of key workers are women. Parallels with WW1 & WW2 again methinks. Domestic abuse also mentioned, including abuse of parent by child, emphasising that home is not a safe place for some people.

A good piece of advice is listen to local radio.     
Cowban

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:38 GMT (UK) »
OH has just received his text, but I haven't got mine yet.
I heard on the BBC news that hardware shops could still open - presumably so say plumbers can buy things like plumbing joints to do urgent repairs, however the local news on now , didn't mention shops like that ......
North East of England