Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)  (Read 14872 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Why expect B&Q , Sports Direct your garage, el to be open  >:(. You are safe at home why shouldn’t staff in non-essential work places be any different !

Hardware shops are on permitted list. I hope the long-established, independent store in the next town survives. I sometimes get deliveries from them. It stocks essential items.
Cowban

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I know we're in lockdown but I had to go out this morning to pick up my prescription. I wasn't prepared to ask anyone else to put themselves in any danger to do it.

Remarkably few people about - I had the bus to myself both ways! Quite a few cars on the road though. I actually enjoyed it - lovely day and no one about - what bliss! I started off wearing gloves but I couldn't handle my bus pass etc with them on so put them away in my bag. Ditto, a scarf I'd taken in case there were lots of people in the queue for medication (only one person ahead of me) so I didn't bother with that either.

Called in at the local Coop on the way home - still no eggs to be had. I still don't get why people need to stock up on perishable goods! The clue is in the adjective!

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I for one would welcome a nationwide, better still, global day of prayer called for in this situation.  Like the King did in the last war.

I hope something is announced soon.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »

It’s all confusion  ??  B & Q has closed their stores. Wickes have closed today for 24 hours to “clarify” the situation  :-\
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Official directive from GOV.UK:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close
Click on "Further Businesses & premises to close" for the list which is in 2 columns, those in each category to close and exceptions which may remain open in each category. It was published last night, as far as I know.
Cowban

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:09 GMT (UK) »
"global day of prayer"

What good would that do?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I still fail to see what people don’t understand about GO HOME and STAY AT HOME.  Not difficult is it.?

Why expect B&Q , Sports Direct your garage, el to be open  >:(. You are safe at home why shouldn’t staff in non-essential work places be any different !

I don't expect B and Q to be open and I certainly don't expect Sports Direct to be open, but a garage to repair and MOT cars should fall in the essential category. An MOT is an essential item for me and many like me who are unfortunate enough for the date to fall within the next few weeks. Without it I cannot legally drive my car on a public road, so cannot get to the nearest shop for essential things like FOOD. It's all very well for Boris to say stay home and get it delivered. Has he actually tried to get a delivery slot recently. I'll have no option other than to go out for food when the food delivery I should get at the end of next week runs out.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Saw a vehicle marked "Video Surveillance Unit" yesterday in our village.

Presumably you do know they weren't sent there by the government  to spy on your village, don't you?

Mike, saying what was seen. Absolutely no idea if related to the PM Statement or not.

Here's a clue. It wasn't.

We have had surveillance vehicles in Berkshire, they were on the lookout for cars with no MOT or Tax. Nothing to do with the present lockdown.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:30 GMT (UK) »
A Baptist MSP here objected to his local church closing two Sunday's in a row advising that the congregation should put their trust in Jesus & attend as usual. His constituency office has been open for business as usual and he is apparently still making calls. The First Minister possibly knows Jesus rather better than he does and a rocket was duly delivered from on high. Office & church shut.

Skoosh.