Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)  (Read 14803 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 6 - Lockdown)
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Cheer up Roobarb, it will be very tough for a long time and  I can’t  see things ever being the same again.
Don’t know your age group, but I assure you after the last momentous time
 there were good as well as not so good changes.
But we survived and yet here we are again in a massive crisis.
Life will go on ,it always does, we will get over this and come through.

Lovely things are happening, so many offers of help being given,an ex boyfriend of my daughter’s ,of many years ago but they have kept in touch
 asked if I needed anything and he’d gladly get it for me.
Mind you he almost lived at our house, was a very nice lad and respected her. We liked him very much .
We can only do as we are asked to do.
I am taking the chance to really sort out after s horrible chaotic house move three years ago , find my Fam Hist stuff and get it all clear for whoever will be interested after  I am gone.
We have T.V.,Phone, RootsChat.Google etc .
Scientists are already making progress with  ways of dealing with this Virus
 and so many volunteers from ex NHS workers have come forward.
We know the NHS has been short of money and after this I can’t see anyone letting that happen again.It should never have been ,but something good will come out of this.
Keep posting and you know you have friends on R.C.
There are some people who have to be self distancing who don’t  have ,no iPad or computer etc.
Cheerio,kindest regards .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria.  :) I think it was the thought that things would never be the same again that distressed me so much.  I know the lockdown is the best thing for us all, I just couldn't believe that this was happening in our country and the whole world has been taken over by this dreadful virus.

I'm not old enough to have been born during WW2 or experienced what was happening during and after but I do admire the stoicism of those generation. I think we have a lot to learn in those terms - not to take things for granted, not to be so wasteful, and to look out for others.

It was sixteen degrees on the North East coast today, lovely in my south facing garden, it did make me feel better.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:04 GMT (UK) »
An interesting side effect of the virus. My son's A&E department is actually quieter than normal at the moment. People have suddenly realised that they can pull that splinter out themselves, and maybe they don't need to get a checkup for that little slip they had two weeks ago.

On a more worrying note, he still hasn't got his full PPE yet.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm not old enough to have been born during WW2 or experienced what was happening during and after but I do admire the stoicism of those generation. I think we have a lot to learn in those terms - not to take things for granted, not to be so wasteful, and to look out for others.

People keep comparing this to the second world war and invoking the war time spirit. The huge difference is that during the war, people could go and cry on a neighbour's shoulder, they could help out where needed by friends and family and they could call out for help for themselves. It wasn't like now. At no time in our history have we all been isolated from each other. Yes, the villagers of Eyam did isolate themselves during the plague years but even then, they were in it together within the village boundaries.

We are a social species and it is totally unnatural for us to be so cut off from everything we know. I think that having the occasional meltdown, or wobbly moment is one of the things which makes us human. Thank god for the internet, social media and places like this where we can at least stay in touch with people to some extent.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:20 GMT (UK) »

It was sixteen degrees on the North East coast today, lovely in my south facing garden, it did make me feel better.  :D

It was 17 degrees in Newcastle. I didn't take the temp in our south facing garden  though. It was interesting that hardly any people passed in over 2 hours.

Mr G trod on my hand while I was holding the ladder. It really hurt but I didn't go to A & E. I think I've only every been to A & E about 3 times in my 75 years.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
My daughters (one uni student, one job-seeker) are currently locked down in Strasbourg, 2 hours away, but we just watched the French equivalent of Masterchef together, chatting about it on Messenger, and it really did me good. (Especially as one of our favourites avoided elimination in the "last chance" or whatever it's called in English!)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Getting a lot of funnies on WhatsApp which is a bit of a consolation at this present time. I've never, ever, seen the city so deserted & quiet as today, surreal doesn't cover it. As we say "If you don't laugh ye wid greet!" ;D

Skoosh.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Lovely today hearing people today talking to each other from their front gardens. It really reminded me of how wonderful it is to just talk to somebody.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting from an email from Waitrose explaining their new safety measures

"All Partners will be offered special visors, creating an extra layer of protection."

Partners are all the people who work there. So they are doing more for their employees than the government are doing for the NHS re protection.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk