Author Topic: Spratt & Durnan connection Campbeltown  (Read 1706 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spratt & Durnan connection Campbeltown
« on: Monday 23 March 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing lots of research and would be grateful of some advice/opinions of other members. This may be confusing but stick with me.

My 4xGG was Thomas Spratt 1803 (Fermanagh) - 1868 Campbeltown, son of Thomas Spratt (Soldier) & Rose Durnan. Trail went cold at that, could not get further back.

In 1841 I have found this census record for Campbeltown which will include names, age, P.O.B.
Michael Durnan, 45 b.Ireland, Catherine (Ward), 40 b.Ireland, Mary ", 18 Ireland, John 13 Ireland, Michael 9 Ireland, Francis 4 Scotland. John Durnan 35, b.Ireland, John Spratt 1, b.Ireland.

1851 - Michael 60, listed as being born in Fermanagh.
1861 - Michael Durneon, 70, Soldier Pensioner, birth place Ireland.
1871 - Michael 84, Occupation - Soldier Pensioned, birth place Magheraculmany.

Michael dies 23/05/1875 aged 89. Parents - Michael Durnan & Nancy (Agnes) McLennan.

Looking into John Durnan who was 35 in 1841, living in the household of Michael Durnan as a Lodger.
1851 - John Durnan 40 Ireland, Bridget (wife) 43 Ireland, John Durnan 13/23?? Ireland.
1861 - John Durnan 48 Ireland (Widower), John Durnan 23 Ireland.

John marries Eliza Bonner on 26 April 1861, his parents listed as Peter Durnin (Soldier) & Catherine. He dies 22/04/1890 aged 80, parents listed as Patrick Durnan (Soldier) Catherine McGuire.

My sort of thinking is - I have Rose Spratt nee Durnan, from Fermanagh, wife of a soldier in Thomas Spratt. In 1841 there is a young John Spratt (1yo) living in the household of Michael Durnan (40yo) who himself is a soldier pensioner from Magheraculmoney, Fermanagh son of Michael Durnan & Nancy McLennan. Also in the same household in 1841 is John Durnan (35yo) a lodger whos father Peter/Patrick Durnan is listed as a soldier also.
So is it too much of a stretch to think that Rose, Michael, & Peter/Patrick were children of Michael Durnan & Nancy McLennan and the Durnan & Spratt lines are joined by the military in Ireland and a subsequent emigration over the water to Campbeltown in Argyll.

All opinions and advice welcome!

Keelan  :)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spratt & Durnan connection Campbeltown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 05:28 GMT (UK) »
A comment about ages in the 1841 census. In that census (only), adults ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So someone aged 44 would appear as 40, someone aged 46 would appear as 45 etc. Childrens ages, if 15 or younger, should be the actual age.
Elwyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »

So is it too much of a stretch to think that Rose, Michael, & Peter/Patrick were children of Michael Durnan & Nancy McLennan and the Durnan & Spratt lines are joined by the military in Ireland and a subsequent emigration over the water to Campbeltown in Argyll.

No, not really. It is a good place to start with what you have found so far.

There is a family tree on a/try, is it yours? www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/8396116/person/-699022156/facts

Was Thomas Spratt married twice? He showed with 2 children in 1841 in Campbeltown didn't he. At the same time that a 1yr John Spratt is at the Durnan household you mentioned.

Can't see any reference so far in the names of Thomas' children to maternal family names for the Durnan family you have found (thinking of Michael and Patrick)  :-\

Durnan is a hard name to search for given the variants for it. I have it one of my main lines. Also from Ireland, but Co Monaghan.

Monica

Added: Looks like you have many many old threads on Thomas Spratt over the years....your main connection for now to the Durnans in Campbeltown, in my opinion, is the listing for the toddler John Spratt in the 1841 Durnan household. What happened to this child by 1851? Alive, deceased?
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
Yes that's my family tree.
He was born 1803, married Isabella Gillies in 1841 when he was roughly 37 years old.
He came over to Scotland from Ireland between 1836-1841. In the 1841 census he is 40, his daughter Margaret is 8, son Thomas is 6.
It's on the 1855 birth record for his son that Thomas states hes from Fermanagh, but the only birth to a Thomas Spratt is with Mary Carberry in 1826 in Waterford, although i'm aware this most likely isnt a match.
Margaret married John Dornan in 1857 in Greenock, but her mother's maiden name isn't written down.

There is the little John Spratt, born in Ireland, with the Durnan family who are from Fermanagh. I don't know where John has come from.

Yes the only name that is carried on that I can see from the maternal line is Rose. Although she goes by the name Rosina for the majority of her life.

It may well be a mystery I can't solve.

Keelan

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 06:32 BST (UK) »

It's on the 1855 birth record for his son that Thomas states hes from Fermanagh, but the only birth to a Thomas Spratt is with Mary Carberry in 1826 in Waterford, although i'm aware this most likely isnt a match.

Keelan

You haven’t said what denomination Thomas Spratt was, but if RC and born in Magheraculmoney, there are no baptism records in that parish before 1836. If Church of Ireland, then their records start in 1767 but they are not on-line anywhere so far as I am aware. There is a copy in PRONI in Belfast but a personal visit is required to view them.
Elwyn

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
Try this website,   https://www.kintyreforum.com

Skoosh.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:14 BST (UK) »

Keelan

You haven’t said what denomination Thomas Spratt was, but if RC and born in Magheraculmoney, there are no baptism records in that parish before 1836. If Church of Ireland, then their records start in 1767 but they are not on-line anywhere so far as I am aware. There is a copy in PRONI in Belfast but a personal visit is required to view them.

I'm not sure of the denomination. I have found no record of any RC records in Campbeltown, such as baptism records. But marriage records for children of Thomas Spratt & Isabella Gillies state they were married in the Church of Scotland. Spratt sounds an English surname, so I thought they might be Protestant.

Oh I see, thankfully I live in Belfast!!  ;D

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:15 BST (UK) »

Offline Normagrogan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I have done a bit or research on the Durnan's and have Michael Durnan and Agnes (Nancy) McLellan in my tree. They originally came to Campbeltown from Co Fermanagh.

There are still lots of Durnan's here and my cousin and myself are trying to fill in the tree. It is quite confusing as there are lots with the same name. I have the family completed of Michael Durnan  and Sarah Newlands who later married Daniel Black. They had 13 children. I reckon this Michael is either a son or grandson I will need to check the tree.
Hopefully we might find out some more information.
Norma