Author Topic: Thomas SMITH alias Tamati m Dorothy TAPSIL alias To Te  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas SMITH alias Tamati m Dorothy TAPSIL alias To Te
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 04:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find further information on Thomas SMITH alias Tamati including his death.
On 1 May 1865 in the Roman Catholic Church of Auckland Thomas Smith alias Tamati married Dorothy Tapsil alias To Te.  Thomas was of Full Age, occ Labourer and a Bachelor and Dorothy was a Minor (16 yrs at time of marriage from age in death notice) and Spinster.  The Officiating Minister was Hugh d' Ackermann CC.  Witnesses were Hans CHRISTOPHER, Auckland, Grocer and Jane LONDERGAN, Auckland.  Signed by Tamati and To Te.
(Source: M/C).
The Daily Southern Cross newspaper of 23 March 1872 has a death notice:
"SMITH, On March 14, at Maketu, Bay of Plenty, in the 23rd year of her age, Dorothy, the beloved wife of Thomas Smith, and the youngest daughter of Phillip Tapsell, one of the oldest residents in New Zealand."
There are 3 children; Perepe (Phillip), Dorothie Maria and Te Rangikino Tote - they all have the surname Hutchinson.
Following is a link to my posting on the Whakapapa Club NZ website also seeking info:
https://www.whakapapaclub.nz/forum/tracing-tupuna-ancestors/tote-dorothy-tapsell/#post-21491

Her headstone has the name Hutchinson.  Also a 2004 Tapihana Reunion booklet gives her name as Hutchinson as do various Ancestry family trees.  The trees that mention Smith have no further information (some of these trees also contain errors of fact).  I have contacted several tree owners with no response.  Her 'husband' is recorded as Phillip Hutchinson.  I have also seen the name 'Tamati Hutchinson'.  I have been unable to find on NZ BDM Index a Phillip Hutchinson of the relevant period - there is a Phillip Hutchinson who died in 1911 (this is a son).
The Auckland 1842-1854 NZ Jury List records a Thomas Smith, Durham Street, Labourer.
Are Thomas Smith alias Tamati and Phillip/Tamati Hutchinson the same person or two different people? 
Any assistance appreciated.
I am not looking for any other information on the Tapsell family at this stage.
TPB

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas SMITH alias Tamati m Dorothy TAPSIL alias To Te
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

A little surprised that you could find any official records for a Maori "labourer" in 1865. I assume you realize that Tamati is a Maori version of Thomas. It was another 40 years before Maori adopted a more European form of naming pattern following the civil requirement to register with B. D & M. Prior to that time it was quite common for siblings to have a different last name, from other siblings, and another AKA that a Missionary Christened them with.

I have not researched any "labourers" of that period, but if a student of any of the Mission Schools there is an outside chance of a mention in archived [Church & civil] records here in NZ and Australia.

Alan.

PS.  As per my forum advisory of 12/3/19, if you have not already seen this page it helps explain how Maori naming pattens evolved.

http://www.whakapapaclub.nz/information/maori-naming-conventions/
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Alan
Thanks for your posting and information on Maori naming patterns.
I am aware that Tamati is the Maori version of Thomas.
I have since found on Archway a record at Archives Wellington of 27 August 1906 from Phillip Hutchinson (Perepe Tamati), Tairua.  Subject wishes to purchase 100 acres of land at Te Karo, Tairua District.
TPB

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your acknowledgement at this hectic and uncertain time. Take care of yourself and family.

If you have not already researched, you will find that the "TAPSELL" name has quite a presence in the BOP of that era.  Especially Maketu and Tauranga.

I'm assuming like others that I'm researching, it looks like these family lines descend from the earliest to learn to read and write through the Christian missions, and then those Maori so trained returning to their hapu to hand down their reading and writing skills. Having a command of English they found employment from the evolving Colonial civil administration. In the Bay Of Plenty TAPELL's were in the Native Armed Constabulary, and holding positions as "Coastal Waiters" [an occupation term I have not come across before] but basically a Government agent handling shipping and customs gathering at regional ports along the coast.  Some letters from Tauranga are available to view on-line through the Archway service.

Alan.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Alan for this information and kind thoughts.  Take care of yourself and family also.  Kia kaha!
I have been researching the Tapsell family at the local library and recently visited the Maketu urupa.
The early years were a very interesting time.
For the next 4 weeks or so this will have to be online.
I am also rechecking copies of Maori Land Court Minute Book records that I have - some are very hard to read.
Take care.
TPB

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 02:41 BST (UK) »
Just received from NZ DIA a copy of the m/c for Charles Garlick who married Dorothea Maria Tapsell daughter of Dorothea or Dorothy or Tote.
It shows that Dorothea Maria Tapsell was 22 years of age when she married on 6 october 1890 in the Public Hall, Whakatane.  She was a Spinster and was born in Tairua, Auckland.
Her Mother is recorded as Dorothea Tapsell nee Tapsell.
Her father is recorded as Thomas Tapsell - Farmer
Usual place of residence for both Charles and Dorothea was Whakatane
Witnesses were:
Charles Stanislaus Stafford, Opouriao
Christina MacPherson, Whakatane
Frederick Swindley, Whakatane
A C Soutar was the Officiating Minister

So no further ahead solving this mystery!

TPB

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks TPB for the update.

Without further checking I would think in the 1860's it would be safe to say she was born at Tairua, BOP.  All of the Bay of Plenty coast and down to Gisborne, was serviced from Auckland by sea. So probably Auckland is a reference to the place of registration AND OR their forwarding address.

Check out the Rev A C SOUTAR, as there is a chance something may be held in their administration archives. Also check out EARLY NZ BOOKS on line, there could be something in print about Whakatane residents of that time. The Tapsell name being prominent in some of my previous searches on the BOP.

Alan.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 04:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan.
A job for when the libraries reopen?
I have found that the book "Stories of Old New Zealand" very interesting.  Unfortunately my copy is missing the first 100 pages or so - managed to retrieve this when it was being dumped some years ago.

TPB

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 July 20 01:30 BST (UK) »
Maori Land Court Minute Book 30 W [Waikato] 63 records the following information:
Appeal by Tamati Whatitiri to succession to Pera Anihana? of 25 April 1901 re Block Te Akau No.2.
Tamiti states" Deceased [Pera Anihana?]  is the same person as Ihipera Anihana who takes under the Will of Waata Tane Puru Urutu.  Deceased was my sister"
Whakapapa:
Tiwhaki (F) = Hutchison = Rangitara
Children of Tiwhaki:
Hone Anihana (decd)
Ihipera Anihana
Child of Rangitara
Tamiti Whatitiri
"My Mother was of Ngati Paoa.  Ihipera's mother was of Ngati Ho? and Ngati Mahanga.  My father lived at Kapanga while married to Tiwhaki.  Their children were born there.  When Tiwhaki had died he married Rangitara".
Ihipera's husband was Waata Tane Puru Urutu of Raglan.
Ihipera had an adopted child Te Hape aka Waata te Rongo (M) name in Will.
When Ihipera died (date unknown) she was buried at Te Kopuna?
Note: some of the spelling of the above names may not be correct as the document is not easy to read in places and some words have been abbreviated.

Tamati Whatitiri has land recorded on Maori LandOnline which has not been succeeded to.

Do any of these names mean anything to anybody?  I am still trying to find out whether Tamati Whatitiri Hutchinson/Hutchison was the partner of Dorothy aka Tote Tapsell.

I have not received any response to my posting on the Whakapapa club website.

TPB