Author Topic: New function on Ancestry DNA  (Read 4923 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New function on Ancestry DNA
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder if this is a new function on Ancestry DNA, or just new to me.

When you click on a match, it asks you if you want to connect them to someone in your tree. There's also a connection symbol to the right of the match's name. If you say 'yes' to connect this person, a side panel opens which says 'search for [match] in [your] tree'. Not sure if this means the match has to be in tree to be selected, or whether you can attach them just to a specific branch.

Before I try this out, I'd be keen to know if others have this function and how they manage it.

Many thanks,
Flemming.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New function on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't see it on my listings when I click on a match.

I wonder if they are doing some more beta trials  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Lucky me. I'm being Beta tested.

I'll attach what you see before and after you link a match to your tree. I wonder if this is a 'dumb' feature (i.e. has no effect on common ancestors/ThruLines) or if Ancestry will use your suggestions to make other connections.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 12:35 GMT (UK) »
It was announced by Crista Cowan in one of her videos from Rootstech that it was coming. The first reports that anyone has seen it have been appearing on facebook in the past couple of days. We will just have to hope that the roll out is a quick one as it looks like very useful functionality. Looking forward to getting it.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »

Just checked, and I don't have it yet.

Btw, am I alone in finding the new Messaging system very annoying?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
We will just have to hope that the roll out is a quick one as it looks like very useful functionality.

Do you know what the functionality is - will it support ThruLines in finding connections?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:21 GMT (UK) »

Do you know what the functionality is - will it support ThruLines in finding connections?
[/quote]

I don't have it yet. I found out it was coming when I watched this video by Crista Cowan of Ancestry. The bit about this functionality was near the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqY1HyBXMGg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1IPTx9zGtOrSFeSbFb5q7fAvrnkh7cJXz8OGhUyyrV6CjhvElUu_sBgNM
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Interesting, although it seems she was thrown in the deep end with it and only explained how to link matches with people in your tree, rather than whether that then has any further functionality. I'm not sure how it can do any more than this if matches don't have a tree, but wonder if it might help with those who do have tree and an obvious connection that ThruLines doesn't pick up for some reason. I've got quite a few of these so may trying the linking process and see what happens.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
I use the colour codes to group matches into my 'lines'. I make notes about where they fit in, if they give enough info. I'm quite happy with that. Usually, less is more when it comes to Ancestry's new additions.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***