Author Topic: Birth and death at sea, 1854, army family homeward bound from India  (Read 437 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth and death at sea, 1854, army family homeward bound from India
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the fate of two children of Troop Sergeant Major Michael Joyce of 15th Regiment of Hussars, and his wife Mary, who were returning, with their children, from India in the sailing ship 'Trafalgar' in 1854.  Their eight children are all recorded as born in Bangalore, and two had already died there.

Ancestry has several trees which include this family.  In one or two there are suggestions that the youngest child, Catherine Helena Joyce was born at sea, and a narrative includes information that she was baptised by a RC chaplain at St Helena, when the vessel called there.  I have found that baptism recorded, on FindMyPast, 'British Armed Forces & O'seas  Births & Baptisms', vol 280, p.9.

There are are also suggestions that Catherine and a son, James Charles Joyce aged 5 or 6, died on this voyage.  I have been unable to track down anything about their deaths and would welcome suggestions about possible sources.
Many thanks
Ainslie

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and death at sea, 1854, army family homeward bound from India
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
The Merchant Shipping Act of 1854 made it a legal requirement to record all  Births, Marriage's and Deaths at sea on board a British or Empire vessel, On return to  her home port, the vessels Logbook would  be presented to the RGSS who would take details then forward the information to GRO.
The Act took a couple of years to "bed in" as ships could be a long time away and as a consequence records of Births, Marriage's and Deaths at Sea for the year 1854 would be incomplete.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C408555
If you can find nothing in the Deaths at Sea register on FindMyPast. Try the link on the TNA website.

Outside of that. It may be worth looking at the pieces in BT98/3889
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt98%2F3889&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

and BT98/4247 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt98%2F4247&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

There were a number of  ships with the name TRAFALGAR around in 1854/1855
Three were registered in London. So seems a good place to start.  Given the vessel was a Military Transport, You may get lucky.
As you know Kew is closed until further notice.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the background and hints for progress which Iíll follow up when possible.
Trafalgar seems to have been on uk/Australia via India voyages and described some where as a freighter.
A

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
From newspaper reports.
TRAFALGAR sailed from Madras with the 115 Hussars on the 27th Feb 1854 and were replaced by 12 Lancers at Bangalore.
The vessel arrived at Gravesend on 21/June/1854 It was reported that there were 8 people who died on the voyage. 4 men and 4 children.
I don't know if its worth your while posting on the Armed Forces board to see if there is anyone with knowledge of the history and movements of the 15th  Hussars?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, those details help but stop short of real value.  I have other 15th Hussars people in that part of the family, and will put all their bits and pieces together before launching into the Armed Forces dept.
A