Author Topic: Ethel Emerson death 1912  (Read 275 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ethel Emerson death 1912
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I have found the birth registration of a Ethel Emerson born in 1912 in Dewsbury, mothers maiden name is Emerson. The story of Ethel is rather sad as she was murdered by her father at just 5 weeks old, the problem is I cant find any death registration for her. I have looked under her fathers surname of Leachman and again under her mothers maiden name of Emerson but nothing is coming up. She died in Dewsbury in 1912. Father was Fred Leachman and mother Sarah Emerson both born in Gainsborough Lincs. Any help would be appreciated on this sad story please. Thanks in advance xx

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ethel Emerson death 1912
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I can only find the death of 4 Ethels registered in Dewsbury in 1912 and the only one in the right quarter is Ethel Brewer. It is certainly a sad tale but a sentence of 18 months is not much of a punishment.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, yes a very sad story. Was it law to have to register her death would she need to be registered to be buried, its so annoying not to be able to find it x

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
The death would have to be registered and since there was probably a postmortem it may have been the coroner that should have done it. Since the family did not have any money presumably she received a paupers burial, it would be worth contacting the council for that area asking them to look through their burial registers. A lot of councils have closed down most services so you may have a long wait before you ask them.