Author Topic: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?  (Read 9351 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
Ours too Llwyd, although ours are green bins. Makes more sense really doesn't it?  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Thursday 04 June 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Our large bins for garden waste are brown, our green bin is a tiny one for food waste. Our food waste has to go in brown or pale green compostable bags first. Our non-recyclable waste used to be dark grey, but is now purple (and smaller). Our original dark grey one is now for recyclable bottles cans etc. Cardboard used to go in our paper crate, which was black and has now changed to dark blue and we now put cardboard in the dark grey bin (which used to be the landfill bin) with the glass and bottles. Before we changed to the dark grey bin for our cans etc, we had a crate which looked like our paper crate but was dark grey, that was when we put cardboard with paper and not with metal and glass. Hope you're following all this - why do they make it so hard to recycle?
When they temporarily stopped collecting garden waste and food waste, we had to put food waste in non-compostable bags of any colour we wanted and put it in the purple bin which used to be grey.
A couple of hundred yards down the road is another local authority area which has another system entirely.
Heaven help you if you're colour blind.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Thursday 04 June 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Lizzie- my parents have a similar and just as equally confusing recycling system where they live. I'm terrified of putting things in the wrong place when I visit and constantly as where each bit of rubbish goes.

When my daughter lived in Morriston (outside Swansea, Wales) they had a system involving (from memory) green & pink bags. Each week 2 different colour (flimsy) bags were collected but they contained different items. For example, week 1 might be newspapers (green) & glass (pink), weeks 2 changed to cardboard (green) and plastic (pink). Cant remember if there were more than 2 weeks in rotation but I stayed there about a month and used to check leaflet taped onto the fridge door to see if I had right week.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Mid Sussex has never stopped landfill or recycling collections, alternate weeks. But they did stop collecting the green garden waste bins. I don't have one because I compost everything. But they did start collecting them again after about a month when the fly tipping started.

The local amenity tips were all shut (West Sussex run) but reopened a few weeks ago. However, this is where it gets stupid, only for garden waste or black bag rubbish which would normally be collected at kerbside, ie, landfill.

So we can go to the tip with all the rubbish which the bin men are collecting anyway. Can't help but think that someone, somewhere wasn't thinking at all.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Thursday 04 June 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
I have long thought that recycling throughout the UK, including the colours and sizes of the bins we use, should be uniform, It would make things easier for all concerned I'm sure.
By the way, our Council is to give us a "refund" for non-collection of garden waste via a reduction of £8 per bin on next year's subscription.  :)
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 04 June 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
It would also cost a fortune & not necessarily fit the bin lorries in current use!

Skoosh.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Thursday 04 June 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
Waste policy of a council may differ according to contract it has with a recycling company.
Cowban

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 05 June 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
Of course Cowban, our bins are being changed shortly to fit a new wagon. I couldn't object to a Euro-bin or even a Tartan-bin but a Brit-bin , nae chance!   ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 05 June 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Your reasons  against uniform waste collection across Britain may possibly have some validity, but they simply demonstrate the need for uniformity. Anyway, since when did any council bother too much about spending money, even unnecessarily?.
 :)

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".