Author Topic: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?  (Read 9357 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Can you not put the garden waste in the general waste bin?  In my part of the world most people don’t fork out for a green waste bin and just throw everything in general waste. 

We are in the minority and have a green bin which costs us the equivalent of about £15 “set up cost” plus a similar amount per quarter.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully the brown bins will start again soon.I googled and Bury have suspended brown bin collections this week and next to concentrate on grey,green and blue bins.  (Weeks beginning 23/3 and 3 April )

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:43 GMT (UK) »
It is a privet Hedge, it requires about 7/8 cuts per year it boarders our path and our neighbours so If I did not cut this bit we would not be able to get out of our paths ;D ;D

Our Brown bin for garden waste is a small bin, it lives against the back gate in our yard, so it gets wheeled about when we want to use the gate, so we can not replace it with a compost bin as we would be unable to move it.

I just a bit of an idea this morning of maybe using the waste in Hugelkultur raised bed, I have a small space just behind the hedge to do this  ::)

I would be wairy of putting green waste in the normal bin incase they refused to empty that bin from contamination. A few years ago I used to sweep up and put this rubbish and a few leaves on top of the bin - last time I did that.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Strictly against the rules here to put green waste in the normal bin. 

I have been trying to find out about the matalan black bags my last order came in.  They proudly claim "fully recyclable" but can't give me a clear answer exactly where to recycle it! 

Plastics or garden bin or whatever. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Our Council has just announced this morning that the tip is closed, the brown garden rubbish bins will not be collected and the dog waste bins will not be emptied.  Result?? Increased fly tipping and for those of us still allowed our daily walk, watching out for more than usual obstacles on the pavements.  On the subject of general waste bins - they will be emptied as usual "for now".  Last week we received our new Council Tax bill - up nearly 4%.  Bet there are no rebates for reduced services.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Parts of Essex now cannot use compostable green bags in the brown bin, I have always used them and in fact had bought a new lot of bags just days before this announcement, my brown bin must be one of the cleanest around, it gets scrubbed out frequently as does the green bad blue bin

The bins haven't been emptied for safety reasons, cannot work with half a crew

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Can you take uncollected waste to the town hall or council offices and dump it on the doorstep?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Now now wee Hugh

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
This morning it was announced our council recycling centres (dumps) are closed. Last week they announced possible plans which might be put in place regarding bin collections (we have 3- black for household waste, blue for recycling & brown for garden waste) which are collected every 2 weeks (no charge). We can also pick up bio-degradable bags for small kitchen compost container free of charge from recycling centres- luckily I picked up a new supply recently.

Last updated Wednesday 25th March 2020
Black, blue and brown bin collections continue to take place as normal at this time, however, there may be some disruption to service in the near future.
Please ensure that all black bin waste is bagged and stored properly inside the bin.
Please clean the handles of your bins before and after they are left out for collection.
Bulky Waste collections have been suspended and all Household Recycling Centres across the Borough are now closed until further notice.
Residents are asked to keep waste normally taken to the Centres at home until the current restrictions are lifted.

Can't find page on their website now (really poorly done site with information difficult to find at best of times) but basically said 1st cut in services would be brown composting bins (kitchen composting bags can be placed in black household bin), 2nd cut would be recycling bin...

This morning our usual bin day. Black and brown ones put out just after crack of dawn (long driveway and since it was lovely and dry I did a bit of tidying along the way to fill up brown bin). Black bin had 4 very small bags of rubbish (more than usual since child moved back home Sunday night) so we could easily manage having household waste collected once a month.

Haven't been back to roadside to check if anything has been lifted yet...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!