Author Topic: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?  (Read 9358 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
My brother kindly cut our buddleai tree a few weeks ago, pending a collection starting today but of course it is suspended. Unfortunately, ee are left with thicker pieces of branch that won't compost down  ::)

Looking for a wood burner ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
The first thing everyone did with the weather being so nice was go out and cut the lawns and refresh the gardens. We had a normal refuse collection this morning so it seemed strange not to have garden waste.  Crews must be limited.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Our council (South Ayrshire) has also suspended garden waste collections. We don't get collections over the winter, so the first of the year was supposed to have been today.

So, of course, I put my bin out last night *before* checking the council website - doh  ::)

Fortunately, I have plenty of space (and my own compost heaps), but I do like to get rid of as much grass cuttings as possible - supply far outweighs demand in my garden  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Being nosey

How much do you a pay year for your Brown Bin.I know some places are Free .Here in Hastings we had to pay £70 this year :-X

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Calderdale (Halifax, West yorks), 40 quid/year
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 19:05 GMT (UK) »
How much does your hedge grow a year?

The one leylandi tree I have can put on 1m so hardly unmanageable, the long hawthorn hedge put on about 500mm.

Just leave it and if you have to cut it put it in black bags and store them where you can

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
We had such a wet autumn that I didn't get out in the garden to pull out all the dead stuff as I usually do. Early this year we had some lovely sunny days, although it was cold I was able to do the job and also heavily prune some shrubs. My garden waste (currently free) collection only starts in March so I put it into the bin and just waited.  :)

If you chop the branches into smaller pieces they'll go into the bin more easily and then you can just wait for the collection to resume.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Leeds City Council have announced that litter bins will not be emptied so do not use them, that means the streets will be full of the tissues we are supposed to use and bin. We could of course fill our pockets with our used ones whilst out for our exercise but that is not exactly a good option especially if you are also shopping for essentials.

Outrageous.
Our County Council has ceased garden waste collections, closed recycling sites and now they have announced grass verges will not be cut UFN. What is going on around the country?. I think they are taking advantage of the situation.
I have four lawns to cut (done three times already this year), a hedge nearly 80 yards long, which will require cutting in May, and I'm now in the middle of sorting out the garden - pruning, clearing up, weeding.
Luckily, I have a handy spot I can take my bins to and empty them. I'll soon be taking grass cuttings only.
However, apparently the Council will carry over our payments to next year.
 :)

:)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Just found out that my local council have now suspended green waste collections. They have, however, made this comment:

" Garden waste collections will cease, as the council has seen a reduction in staff levels, so the council is prioritising the collection of kerbside residual waste and recycling waste;

Residents can still use their green bin to store green waste, but once this is full, please do not put green waste into your other waste bins as this may jeopardise the residual and recycling waste collections. If you have excess garden waste, please store in the corner of your garden. "
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales