Author Topic: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?  (Read 9362 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown Bin Collections suspended, what to do with garden waste ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
   Our garden waste collection has also been suspended. We did get one collection in before it happened. Ours have been free up til now, but charging was about to start - I think it will be £45 for 1 bin and about half that for a second one, though they can hardly implement it at the moment.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
My neighbour and I share a bin, I just paid £41 to renew.  We used to both pay for a garden waste bin but the bally thing only gets used for half the year, so it actually only costs us £20.50 each which I don’t mind paying. We would compost but the garden isn’t big enough  :(

Local tips have closed . Facebook post and pics from today of fly tipping on one of our quieter lanes  ::) dumped last night.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I suspect tha one of the positive benefits to come out of the present situation is that far more people will discover the benefits of composting. Also people might get into the habit of ensuring that food isn't wasted.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
We haven't heard anything about garden waste bins not being emptied. Now I've said that it will probably be in the local paper tomorrow.

Our garden waste collections are £20 - from March to November.

Huge disparity it seems up and down the country.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Just paid my green bin for another year and it's £50 (north wilts) I don't really get full use of it to be honest.  It was bin day today and everything was collected apart from the recycling boxes (cardboard/glass etc)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm in Charnwood (Leicestershire) and just had bill due on 1st April - £40 this time. Filled it today and a good bit of trimming and tidying still to do. Will bag and store overflow.

What I have always thought was a fence with ivy clinging to it, is actually ivy with a bit of fence clinging to it!  ;D

Keep safe, Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Wow everyone  :o I’m counting my blessings !
I only pay £25 per bin in Edinburgh, I didn’t realise it was so much in other parts of the country.

Our council make up for it in the parking fares as they are eye wateringly expensive  ::)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:00 GMT (UK) »
40 miles out of Edinburgh we currently don't pay anything for the brown bin collection and, so far at least, no notification that the service is to be withdrawn. Also in our area you have the option not to have a brown bin if you compost waste material. A few years back the council had a big composting drive including providing free compost bins. If you have space for a brown bin then you have space for a compost bin to replace it; we don't have a brown bin.

As for Edinburgh parking charges they are ridiculously expensive. We seldom go to Edinburgh now because of them.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
£50 in Birmingham, £45 if you are an 'early bird'  . I paid £45, the price has gone up considerably since last year. Neighbouring Solihull which is literally over the road don't have to pay....... A case of living on the wrong side of the road  ::)

I have just looked at Solihull Green Garden collection information and they are delaying the start date. We have had a couple of collections in Birmingham.