Author Topic: Hope for the future  (Read 9613 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hope for the future
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Once all of this is over, I am hoping this will be a better world.  I am hoping we will realise how fragile life is and how precious our family are and how vulnerable our parents can be in a crisis.  I am actually very pleased my parents and in-laws are not around now because they all lived a long way from us and it would be a huge problem trying to help them through this.

But there are a lot of smaller things I hope will continue.  I hope the obsession with mobile phones may lessen and people will actually talk to each other face to face.  I hope people can slow down and enjoy the smaller details of life.  For example - sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee rather than gulp it down on the run.  I hope people that started courses continue them or those that took up a new hobby continue to get pleasure from it.  I hope the people that have helped others in their community still feel it is important to do that even when they don't think they have the time.

I'm hoping but I'm not that optimistic at the moment, but it's early days.
Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hope for the future?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
You think there will be coffee, all the coffee producing countries are no better protected than we are.

Unless we take steps to protect vital industries at all costs, (food production and distribution, gas, electricity for heat in winter, drinking water and sewage disposal life might be very basic indeed.

Mike

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Cheers Mike  :(. I just came back to Rootschat for a bit of light relief, saw Rishile’s heading and thought that folk may have posted their hopes for our future after this is over.  First reply...doom and gloom  :'(
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
In all my years of researching Family History, I never dreamt that a time that I actually lived in would become such an important part of our (maybe) great great grandchildrens History--   Oh to be able to come back and live it through their eyes...

and no there wont be internet ... or any of the services .. if we carry on at this rate...

The 'Survivors' come to mind..

Xin

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:34 GMT (UK) »
It is important to be optimistic; gloom and doom are unhelpful. The internet used judiciously is a marvellous resource but unfortunately social media seems to be a source of some ridiculously wild and exaggerated scare stories about the virus readily believed by those of a more impressionable age (ok, younger!) - it would be nice if common sense made a comeback. I suspect that people will perhaps be less obsessed with mobiles going forward and indulge in a bit more traditional "face time". Many people also seemed to have discovered that you can actually speak to people using a mobile phone!

As a country we hopefully will reintroduce some sort of Civil Defence to provide fast response in emergency situations - clearly not much resilience has been built into the current system.

Sourcing less from overseas and less just in time stocking wlll probably be on the cards and this should be to our benefit - globalism should be a bit less unfettered.

We are heading out of the flu season and coupled with the measures taken by the Government I am optimistic that the figures will be starting to look less scary in three weeks or so.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm in a coffee producing country and I've been locked down for more than a week already.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »

We are heading out of the flu season and coupled with the measures taken by the Government I am optimistic that the figures will be starting to look less scary in three weeks or so.
???
It is not flu....
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:11 GMT (UK) »
It was not intended to be gloom and doom, just realistic prompted by the fact that those who must self isolate are running out of food now, like today, and no “official” help is forthcoming.

Mike

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:39 GMT (UK) »

???
It is not flu....

No covid-19 is not flu but like flu it affects the lungs, flu and similar which affect the lungs have a huge influence on the body's success in recovering from Covid-19, that is why asthma sufferers are at risk.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.