Author Topic: Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns  (Read 1118 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »
i want to find the exact location of a cottage where my gt. grandmother lived with her husband and brother. I know roughly where the cottage was located and can trace it back to the 1911 census when it was listed as house 5.
The area today is the Killoggy Rd. in Berryfields, Castleland Lower Ferns according to google maps. In the past the address has been given as the Clone Road or Enniscorthy Road and the Cottage was called Woodbine. My gt. g'mother lived there until her death in 1945.
I could try and use the land registry but they deal with contemporary cases and the cottage is more likely to be registered on their old maps and possibly archived. All this information could be found in house deeds if the cottage still exists but house deeds would be private i assume. Can any rootschatters help me out. Geraldine96   

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR A COTTAGE LOCATED LOWER FERNS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may be of help.

From Griffith's Valuation there is a Marianne Roche in Lower Ferns listed see Ferns 2 attachment.
She is living at map reference 4.
The map from Griffiths is attached with the newer map and with this it may pinpoint the location of your gt grandmothers cottage.

There is an Edward Stephens living in Upper Ferns

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 20:39 GMT (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked a GeoHive
http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html
I don't see Woodbine marked on any of the buildings.
Use base information and mapping to see the older maps

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou familysearch2011 and sinnan i have followed your info which has helped - i have worked out how to use geohive and at last tracked down the old map which I had come across before when browsing but never been able to retrace.
I think Woodbine Cottage was either next door to or opposite Ivy Cottage (at least within the vicinity of Ivy Cottage) . Ivy Cottage is identified on the old maps and appears on the current google maps. Is there any other way I would be able to trace the exact location for Woodbine Cottage?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 20 12:18 GMT (UK) »
If you use the 6" colour and the 25" maps at the same time and use the sliders to see the pink lines on the 6" showing just under the 25" you can see Ivy Cottage isn't in Ferns Lower it's in Castleland. The pink lines outline the townland.

Looking at the house and building returns for 1911 and 1901
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003561071/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001273258/
There are two 1st class houses Z Rynhart is in one and that is Killoggy Castle (found on his sons marriage)
Than you have the railway and the school buildings.
Most of the houses seem to be near the Railway with a few on the main road and more down near Doran's bridge.
I can't decide which one is the second 1st class house.

House 5 is a 2nd class house with it appears 4 rooms and 2 windows to the front, solid walls and roof no different from most of the other houses in the townland and fairly typical of the time. Unless you have family information on it's position I think it will be very difficult to tell it apart of the other houses.

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 20 20:31 GMT (UK) »
 Thankyou Sinnan, the 1901 census numbers the houses in the opposite direction to the 1911 census which makes orientation confusing eg the station in 1901 is  house number 2 and Killoggy Castle is House number 13
The 1911 census numbers the station as house 15 and Killoggy castle is hse 1.
i researched the Lee family (resident at Ivy Cottage), Thomas Lee was brought to Ferns to work at Bolgers Tool Factory as he was a skilled scythe maker from Sheffield. On the 1901 census he is in hse 7, the landlord is James j. Houghton. On the 1911 census his son George (following Thomas' death) is living in hse 4, landlord is Zacharia Rynhart which must be Ivy Cottage because the civil marriage cert for his sister Nora ( dated 1st Oct 1907) gives the residential address as Ivy Cottage, Ferns. My gt' grandmother and her husband Henry Stephens are in house 5.Henry Stephens owns the cottage. Because both cottages are named after climbing plants, I thought they might be next door to one another. Having thought about it, houses on the census are not necessarily in line, standing opposite one another or immediately next door; they could be widely spaced. It's puzzling. What would the post code be for Ivy Cottage, as I could approach the land registry or the planning dept c/o Wexford County Council. i'll just have to assume the location for Woodbine is the same as Ivy Cottage and see if I can find some old land registry maps.  I'd welcome any more ideas,but thanks sinnan your post has got me thinking. By the way, I have checked the death cert for Henry Stephens (1931) The address is Woodbine Cottage Lower Ferns Enniscorthy Rd. My Gt. G'mother's death (1945) gives address as Lower Ferns Enniscorthy Rd. Her burial cert. says Clone Rd. On the geohive map of Ferns which was dated 1885 you can see Ivy Cottage because it's labelled. There aren't many buildings along that road but I think Killoggy Castle is there. Zacharia Rynehart was born approx 1853 and died 1832. I looked at history of Killoggy Csatle which said it was built in 1811, I can't believe it was that early. Gerldine96 

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 March 20 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - correction Zacharia Rynehart was born 1853 approx & died 1932...

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 March 20 21:35 GMT (UK) »
So Ivy Cottage has been counted with Ferns Lower in the census but is in Castleland, even today it's address is Castleland as can be see on the Eircode finder, you can also get it's Eircode which pin points it exactly. Each house in ROI has it's own code.
https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ (just search for Ferns Lower and choose any of the buildings than choose to see the map put the target over the red dots and click Get Eircode to see the address)
quite a few of the buildings have Clone Road as their address.
Still the idea of Ivy Cottage being a 2nd class house bothers me, I'd expect a house named on a map to be 1st class, still you can see on street view that it was a small house with only 2 windows to the front.