Author Topic: Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns  (Read 1146 times)

Offline geraldine96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to say thanks to sinann, I have spent the morning target practicing with eirecode.ie and then tried out your trick on geohive using the historic map and contemporary map at the same time to compare present day Ferns with historic Ferns , using both geohive and eirecode are great tools for navigating your way around past and present maps of same town. 
I don't think I'll find Woodbine cottage unless it was a part of Ivy Cottage. The 1885 map shows Ivy Cottage as having a lot of buildings while the rest of the area is rural. Further down the road towards the rail line there are a few scattered buildings which are described as being on the Clone Rd. There's also a small settlement on the same side as Ivy Cottage between the latter and Kiloggy Castle whose present day address is given as The Clone Rd. I'm baffled by Ivy Cottage too, the way it's always flagged up suggests it's a notable landmark. On the 1911 census the landlord is Zacharia Rynehart but his name is written over Thadeus Bolger (Thadeus Bolger is crossed out). Thadeus Bolger was part of the Bolger family that ran Bolgers Tool factory at Milltown they were famous for production of agric. tools. On the 1901 census I think the house that was Ivy Cottage was owned by Joseph J. Houghton (I said his 1st name was james in my earlier message that was wrong!). I may try the planning dept at Wexford Co.Co. If I manage to find the exact location, I'll post again to say how I found it....but pleased to have more ways to search for historic locations, thanks for helping me out sinann         

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a cottage located Lower Ferns
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 March 20 18:02 GMT (UK) »
A contact I had in the area my grand parents come from had got info from the Land Registry on each townland, it lists the people/property in each townland, the plots have the same numbers as Griffith's Valuation but go up to at least the 1990s. I'm not sure how you go about getting these lists.
On this you can get a bit of info on each property and can pay to view the folio.
https://www.landdirect.ie/