Author Topic: Zibiah Evans born Hereford  (Read 3498 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Zibiah Evans born Hereford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Although they may not have married, at some stage she must have died.  Have you found a death anywhere for her?
There is also the possibility that Daniel was registered in her maiden name, and took on the Evans surname later.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 20 14:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a Leominster death for a Zobie Barber in 1858.  With the similarities in forenames and matching surname, it would probably be worth keeping that death in mind as either a family connection or as a death for Zibiah Barber bn 1852.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 20 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the original census page her name appears to be either Libiah or Librah.   The first letter is identical to the 'L' in a 'Lydia' who's further up on the page.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 March 20 14:54 GMT (UK) »
There is a Leominster death for a Zobie Barber in 1858.  With the similarities in forenames and matching surname, it would probably be worth keeping that death in mind as either a family connection or as a death for Zibiah Barber bn 1852.

GRO
Death 1858 Leominster  Zobie Barber age 5   

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 March 20 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annettee7 for looking, I only use Family Search and as the library is unavailable I cannot check originals. I tried both names, with Libiah having 3 listed but nothing fits, and nil for Librah.

Chempat and Spidermonkey, Death is the one thing nobody can avoid and I have looked. The Leominster Barber, I could not find anything for, so the death in 1858 explains; I had not looked that close to the birth. My mistake, I should have.

Zibiah, or whatever, might be a second name as many used that rather than their first given name. Then again, it might only be the name she used and was not given, especially if you want to blend in with travelling folks. I am aware through the rest of my research, travellers changed their names to suit the occasion. In moving to Wales, some took on ‘Welsh’ surnames and had different Christian names.

I only have them in 1891, where were they in 1881 and 1901? The 1901 may be an issue, as many travellers on mass, gave vague information, or refused to answer the census questions.

The only way to know is from Daniel’s birth certificate. That assumes I have the right person re: the two given. I am going through other census records, where none of the traveller children births are registered, certainly not with the names given; some later though were baptised.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 March 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Just posting snip from census, including a 'Lydia' at the top and the disputed name at the bottom.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 March 20 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I would never have transcribed that as a Z.
L probably, though could it be s T?

The issue with tracing travelling people, is that you cannot trust anything written. Although on the census, it says wife, they may be living together, but never married. The children were born, probably where it states in the census. If the birth was registered, it may not correspond with the stated birth and baptisms seem to take place where they liked to gather. Of Daniel’s 4 children of the 1890s, none seem to have been registered and I now wonder if Edwin and Daniel were registered.

All I know of Edwin Evans
Daniel’s first marriage in 1899; Father: Edwin Evans . Basket Maker (Master) and his second marriage in 1917; Father: Edward Evans (Deceased) . Basket Maker. There is a difference in name, which is either a typo, or the two names he used, Edwin for business and Edward formal.
Most are Edwin, so that is what I have looked for, maybe I should also look for Edward. He is also Edwin in newspaper articles with the Boswell family, usually in court.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 March 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
just throwing this in just in case it helps.

Perrin Brookes Williams was baptised in Aberavon 1 Dec 1872 son of Samuel, basket maker, & Gravelina
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFZB-DKC

He appears to marry in 1899 as Perrin Brooks W Lee
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:269N-JB6

Possible death reg for Gravalina Williams aged 37 sept qtr 1890 Pontypridd. I suspect she would have been a little older than that and could be the Gravalina Lee at Talachddu in 1861
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M76B-R19
There's an older sister, Senbee, who could be the mother of Daniel.

There's also this baptism in Sketty
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFCW-7C5

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 March 20 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey,
I have the 1861 census of the Lee family and knew there was a link, but not how. Also the baptism of Perrin Brooke Williams with parents. In the 1861 census, there is a son called Perrin. It does not surprise me that he would marry back into the family, as it happens so often within the Williams, Boswell, Lee families, that also extends to Evans. Some Williams were actually Bowell, changing their name when moving to Wales. The Williams family were also travelling showmen based around Machynlleth.

I initially though Perrin was related to Daniel's first wife Catherine Ann Boswell mmn Williams; AND STILL COULD BE!! I did not mention Perrin B Williams as it took the subject away from Hereford. I was wondering how he could be described as nephew before Daniel married. That was my next search.

From what you have provided, I will try to work out relationships. Senbee could be the mother, but this is the family where I could not find a birth registration. And they probably never married; but those are the joys of family research.