Author Topic: George Ivey and Elizabeth Husband of St. Helier  (Read 891 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Ivey and Elizabeth Husband of St. Helier
« on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I’ve read that the two married in St. Helier in 1837. George died in St. Helier in 1849 (aged 31) and Elizabeth later remarried to a man surnamed Pim. Elizabeth’s maiden name was Husband, and she was born in England c. 1819. I see a few Ivys in St. Helier, mostly English-born although there is a James and Ann Ivy there for the 1851 Census, with Ann being from the USA (later censuses say Newfoundland). Could anyone please look into the Ivy/Ivey family in Jersey, and the Husbands as well? I’m currently busy on another line but I hope that’s enough information there.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Ivey and Elizabeth Husband of St. Helier
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I’ve read that the two married in St. Helier in 1837

Where did you read it?  Is it a reliable source?

As you know Elizabeth's maiden name and birthyear - have you looked on Family Search for a possible baptism?

and Elizabeth later remarried to a man surnamed Pim

When and where did she remarry?  Where did this info come from as you don't seem to know the husbands christian name

Is she on later censuses as Pim in which case you will know her husbands name?   If she is in England - it will show her full birthplace

I’m currently busy on another line

May be best to concentrate on one line at a time
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:34 GMT (UK) »
1) It was on an Ancestry tree. I’ve checked most of the dates with Jerripedia, but couldn’t find the marriage. However, my ancestors baptism confirms their names and Elizabeth’s maiden name. I haven’t yet got round to investigating Elizabeth, as I’ve been building another branch in the meantime.

2) I haven’t identified details of the marriage yet, but have been in contact with a library in Jersey. They should be getting back to me soon. But she did remarry to a man named Pim evidently. She was in Guernsey in 1861, widowed again.

3) I agree. I’ll probably have an in-depth look myself to try and link all the Ivys.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the 1841 CI census?  Husband was not George but son was.  Think you may need to have a closer look at the info you have been given
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
This is way before time but am posting link as it's uncanny given the surnames

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGLK-42BD

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I’ve never found them on any censuses. And yes I agree that’s uncanny. Here’s what I know for sure:

Elizabeth Jane Ivey
Born 20th of August 1843
Christened 10th of September 1843
Daughter of George Ivey and Betsy Husband

Elizabeth Jr. then goes on to marry David Lake at some point (again, have made inquiries) and Elizabeth Sr. is living with them in Guernsey in 1861, as a widowed Elizabeth Pim.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
https://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/Walter_John_Lake%27s_court_appearances

This says David and Elizabeth Lake were in Alderney ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 family with husband John are still all together in 1851 in Jersey so not same family but may be a connection to George

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I’ve looked through the Husbands on Jersey, and this is what I’ve found:

William Husband born about 1814
Samuel Husband born about 1815
Betsy Husband born about 1819
Richard Husband born about 1823

Two children of Samuel Husband and Catherine Tregan
Samuel Husband and Catherine Tregan m. 10/09/1836 Redruth, Cornwall

Not found a christening for Samuel yet.

For the Ivy/Ivey family, there are a James (b. c. 1781, Devon) and Ann (b. c. 1786, Canada) christening children in St. Helier from 1824 - 1833. Other Ivey/Ivy family members born in England living in St. Helier in 1851 are:

John born about 1811
James born about 1825