Author Topic: (Herbert) Russell Midlane COOMBE alias Russell MIDLANE  (Read 751 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: (Herbert) Russell Midlane COOMBE alias Russell MIDLANE
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 20 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM for your iinterest. 

Answering :

1851 census has his father John Henry COOMBE in Woolwich as a visitor with his brother-in-law.
1841 census has Russell with his mother and siblings in Mere which is where her parents lived and her doctor brother-in-law. 

Yes he was baptised as C of E; his father was an Anglican clergyman; I do not know any details of his first marriage.  I think (will check) that the children of the first marriage were C of E.

Second family were brought up RC, one daughter even being a nun, and obviously accepted into a convent while her parents were still not married (although I suspect that fact was not known) .  He and Margaret must have lived as a married couple as her appointment as Post Mistress is using the name "Mrs Midlane" and there are various TROVE mentions of her social life in Bena, NSW.  And he lied on the marriage record by saying he was a widower - perhaps he had no idea that Bridget was still alive.  I've not checked re Margaret Moore, the second wife so perhaps she was not free to marry earlier.

I wonder what the church thought (or knew) as their daughter had been married in the same church (Catholic church West Wyalong) 9 years previously.

His mother's family seemed to drift from RC to C of E also.  Parents of Frances Agnes MIDLANE were RC when Frances was born at West Camel (Somerset) in 1811 and was baptised at a Catholic chapel in Shepton Mallet, some 28 miles away at the age of 3 months - quite a trek with a three-month old and her two year old sister baptised the same day.  Later the family moved to Mere (Wiltshire) and became stalwarts of the local Anglican church, even to the extent of Frances' brother donating a stained glass window in memory of his siblings and parents.

I rather suspect that he left Bridget and his first family for whatever reason and met and formed a partnership with Margaret Moore. They were together over 40 years and died within a week of each other.

Interesting......

Judith
Would love to know if the two families knew of each other.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Maddy.  Are those UK papers?

Yes, in the Morning Post, Bell's Life in London and Sporting Chronicle, The Standard, and Caledonian Mercury.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 20 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, maddys52.  I used to be able to find those 19C British newspapers on the National Library site very easily but their site has been upgraded so "it's easier to use".  Well, I'm having real difficulty finding the papers now.  :'(  Possibly says more about me than them!   :o

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 March 20 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, maddys52.  I used to be able to find those 19C British newspapers on the National Library site very easily but their site has been upgraded so "it's easier to use".  Well, I'm having real difficulty finding the papers now.  :'(  Possibly says more about me than them!   :o

Judith

Oh I so agree! Not as easy as it used to be.

When I open "eResources" I then click on "Browse eResources", click on "G" and scroll down to "Gale Primary Sources". Then a log in page comes up in a new tab, and then I can search the newspapers etc. There may be an easier way, but this works for me.  ::)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 March 20 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks maddys52  I managed to get to the Gale papers one day last week but then lost the way in.  It used to be so easy with a simple list of e-resources coming up and could click through from there.  I find in so many instances "improvements' are anything but!

Judith