Author Topic: Buried then cremated?  (Read 2731 times)

Offline benfromshelf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buried then cremated?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 May 21 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hope you don't mind me asking but is the person in question Ida Ainley. The family grave is at St Michael's (there's a gravestone) and I knew a friend of the family. Her husband Rev. W. H. Ainley cropped up in my research into the history of Shelf and St. Michael's Church.

Regards,
Ben Stables

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 May 21 06:12 BST (UK) »
Yes WHA is my 2nd cousin 2x removed and connected to my Petty side

Hope you don't mind me asking but is the person in question Ida Ainley. The family grave is at St Michael's (there's a gravestone) and I knew a friend of the family. Her husband Rev. W. H. Ainley cropped up in my research into the history of Shelf and St. Michael's Church.

Regards,
Ben Stables

Offline benfromshelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 May 21 06:38 BST (UK) »
William Harold Ainley (1898-1979) served as Private with the 5th/6th Cameronian (Scottish Rifles), having enlisted in 1916 initially with the Duke of Wellington’s, and was awarded the Military Medal “for bravery and devotion to duty during an attack on the 23rd and 24th October [1918]...[he] did very excellent work when his battalion suffered heavy casualties.”  His Battalion’s War Diary states that “the enemy put down a very heavy barrage…which greatly disorganised the Battalion and caused fairly heavy casualties” but they were able to make an advance into enemy territory despite artillery, machine gun fire and poison gas shells. He was demobbed in February 1919, returned to Shelf and married in 1924. He was a Churchwarden at St. Michael’s and on the Parochial Church Council. He was licensed as a lay reader by the Bishop of Bradford on the 28th September 1940.  He was made a deacon at Bradford Cathedral on the 21st September 1952.  On the same day he was licensed as assistant curate for Queensbury, where he stayed until 1957.  He was then ordained as a Priest and served at various parishes. He died at Ilkeston in 1979 and his ashes were returned to Shelf and buried at St. Michael’s.

Regards,
Ben Stables

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 May 21 06:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ben for that info

William Harold Ainley (1898-1979) served as Private with the 5th/6th Cameronian (Scottish Rifles), having enlisted in 1916 initially with the Duke of Wellington’s, and was awarded the Military Medal “for bravery and devotion to duty during an attack on the 23rd and 24th October [1918]...[he] did very excellent work when his battalion suffered heavy casualties.”  His Battalion’s War Diary states that “the enemy put down a very heavy barrage…which greatly disorganised the Battalion and caused fairly heavy casualties” but they were able to make an advance into enemy territory despite artillery, machine gun fire and poison gas shells. He was demobbed in February 1919, returned to Shelf and married in 1924. He was a Churchwarden at St. Michael’s and on the Parochial Church Council. He was licensed as a lay reader by the Bishop of Bradford on the 28th September 1940.  He was made a deacon at Bradford Cathedral on the 21st September 1952.  On the same day he was licensed as assistant curate for Queensbury, where he stayed until 1957.  He was then ordained as a Priest and served at various parishes. He died at Ilkeston in 1979 and his ashes were returned to Shelf and buried at St. Michael’s.

Regards,
Ben Stables

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
When my father died he was cremated and the ashes buried in his local C of E Cemetery.  This was in accordance with the wishes of his partner.
We weren't happy with this because he had been brought up as a Methodist.   A year later his partner married someone else and we applied to have my father's ashes removed from the C of E Cemetery and re-interred in his home village Methodist Chapel Cemetery.  After a lot of form filling and getting permission from various bodies ! this re-internment was done - headstone included.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 18:32 BST (UK) »
👍

When my father died he was cremated and the ashes buried in his local C of E Cemetery.  This was in accordance with the wishes of his partner.
We weren't happy with this because he had been brought up as a Methodist.   A year later his partner married someone else and we applied to have my father's ashes removed from the C of E Cemetery and re-interred in his home village Methodist Chapel Cemetery.  After a lot of form filling and getting permission from various bodies ! this re-internment was done - headstone included.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 June 21 18:58 BST (UK) »

You were lucky. Our local churchyards don’t allow you to bury ashes in any kind of container, they have to be tipped  into the soil.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
I've got a photo of a family grave in Ireland with a cousin's name on it - lots of people have assumed that she was buried there but she was cremated in England and her ashes returned to Ireland.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 21:57 BST (UK) »
  Our local graveyards (church ones) have a section set aside for cremation burials, but not with headstones, only a small stone set in the ground.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire