Author Topic: Lt Albert Ford Royal Navy  (Read 1212 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lt Albert Ford Royal Navy
« on: Wednesday 25 March 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
hello
Hope this is the right board. Apologies if not .
 Albert Ford was born in 1924 and served during ww2 as a pilot in the Fleet air Arm. Sorry dont know his military number as all his personal records lost . He then served /flew in the Navy  during the Korean war from the aircraft carrier Theseus and was mentioned in dispatches but i dont know for what and would love to know.
Unfortunately  after the korean war he was training on Jets at Culdrose in Cornwall when he was killed while training . He died 10/12/1952
This is all we know . Grateful for any help in finding out more about Albert Ford.
Many Thanks

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Lt Albert Ford Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you have his military records from the MOD or are they the 'personal records' you refer to as lost.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello
No I am not sure we ever had them but a box of papers that did have some of the details was lost some years ago. How does one obtain Navel records ?  Hadn't realised you can get WW2.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at.......https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

There’s no fee if you were the person’s spouse or civil partner at the time of their death (or their parent, if there was no spouse). Otherwise £30.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
His MiD was published in the London Gazette on 26 Jun 1951:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/39272/supplement/3554, the list starts on the previous page (3553),

His record will confirm which squadron he was in at the time .  HMS Glory with 804 Squadron and 812 Squadron relieved HMS Theseus off Korea on 23 April 1951 so his MiD could be for the period before that with 807 or 810 Squadrons who were embarked.  on Theseus.  Once you have his squadron, you would be able to search for the relevant operations book which may give you the answer you need.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 20 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all. Had a look at how to get the records and see it asks for his service number which i dont have .  But worth a go thanks. Found his name at the National memorial  in Staffordshire this morning but no service number .

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
You could try www.forces-war-records.co.uk his name did come up when I did a search and shows him serving in 1951. Just how good their records are though I could not say.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 March 20 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 March 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
You don't need a service number, the form only asks that you complete it as fully as possible.  In any event, at that time RN officers didn't have service numbers anyway!

Forces War Records do not have his service record, these are not available on line (why else would there be an application process?).  The "Collections" tab on their home page will show what they do have, no personal service records for post 1920 are there

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia