Author Topic: Requesting military records times and results  (Read 2808 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting military records times and results
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Also, does return postage need to be included? I haven’t seen any mention of it.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 April 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
No.  Be assured that if the government wanted you to pay for postage it would say so!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 April 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks; I did wonder. Amazed they’d send you it all without any additional costs, barring the administration fee of course.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 April 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
There is no additional postage cost and that is the case no matter whereabouts in the world they are sending it.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 April 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Extraordinary! I wonder if that will continue, what with the growth of family history in the past few years.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 April 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
I may have encountered a problem.

The ancestor I sent off forms for wasn’t in the Second World War, but was in the Army between the wars. I filled out the form saying his name and date of birth (all that I know), so that part’s fine. The only reason for demobilisation was the pre-ticked discharge after 1939-45 war. Will there be problems with my application now, as he served after 1920 but wasn’t in the Second World War?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 April 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
I doubt it unless there is someone with the same name, date of birth and death etc in WW2.  The files are not catalogued by date periods.  If the basic data you have provided is correct, they don't need any of the small additional pieces of info.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 24 April 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Excellent, that’s put my mind at ease. Thanks MaxD!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 16:25 BST (UK) »

However the service records for my late mother's first cousin who was in the Royal Regiment of Artillery, (application sent at the same time) is still awaited by post (nearly 4 months).

KG

Just an update:

Still waiting on the service record for my late mother's first cousin who was in the Royal Regiment of Artillery - letter sent 28th November last year.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo