Author Topic: Symptoms Question  (Read 2326 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Symptoms Question
« on: Thursday 26 March 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am one of those weird people who has completely lost all sense of taste and smell but, apart from being very tired for a day or two, have had no other symptoms.
My GP has advised me to treat this as if I have C19 and to isolate myself, which I have been doing anyway because of my chronic cough and asthma.
But, being a very mild case, if I do indeed have it, there is no testing available so I might never know.
I do know that a fairly high percentage of those who have been tested have also had this anosmia and hypogeusia and that it is being taken seriously by medical scientists but I don't know anyone else who has had it so am asking here if anyone has experienced this. If you have, how long did it last - has it fully recovered?
A large element of me remains sceptical about it being C-19 related but another part hopes that it is, so that I can say, in a week or two, that I am safe to do my own shopping etc and won't infect anyone else.

For what it's worth, it is quite horrible and while not even remotely comparable with the more serious symptoms, it is having quite an impact on my life.

Cheers,

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Symptoms Question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Jen, we have been an odd household with symptoms.

Two teens and my husband and I. Son has only felt a little unwell for a day. My daughter has had a high fever and headache, followed by fatigue for days. Me, nearly a fever, odds pains and then a really sore stomach and nausea for a few days.

I have been terrified for my husband as he has two bouts of pneumonia and swine flu in 2009! No idea why he has had this, all in his early 40s. He started 10 days ago and has suffered the following symptoms:

High Fever
Headache
Sharp pain in kidneys
Sharp pain in eyes
Chills and aches everywhere
Exhaustion and
No sense of taste or smell

The last one started 4 days ago, so for him, on day 6 since he started with fevers etc. He is still suffering from this.

However, with many firgers crossed, no cough or difficulty in breathing at any time.

I certainly think we have all had it here. However, as you mention, without testing for it you cannot confirm you have. Hopefully in the weeks to come, testing will become wider ranging once they have got the front line people tested and the whole testing system under control. With your asthama and cough, it is hard for you to know what is best without confirmation. Erring on caution is what you seem to doing which is a good plan.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that Monica, hubby certainly sounds as if he is having a torrid time.
Fingers crossed you all come thru this soon.

Take Care
Stay Safe
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Monica, that is a real mixed bag of symptoms. I really hope your husband starts to feel better and that the whole family comes through it soon.

I am now well over a week in with the no smell or taste thing, though it is beginning to change - I can smell cumin powder, toothpaste has a "fresh" flavour and oranges have a little bit of taste! This is a distinct improvement. ;D

Wine is totally vile!

We will be allowed out of quarantine soon, which is just as well as supplies are running low. My daughter will shop for us if I ask but I really don't want to put her at any more risk than necessary.

:) :) :)

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
You will treasure the fresh air when you manage to get out again, Jen  :)

Stay safe too, Sandra  :-*

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
You will treasure the fresh air when you manage to get out again, Jen  :)

Monica

I have a whole unusable Lake District outside my door! It's driving me insane!

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:04 GMT (UK) »
I've had a dry cough for the last couple of days and have felt a bit sick, no temperature. We are all isolating anyway just to be safe, especially as I work in healthcare. My husband started coughing a bit today and our friend who lives with us has been coughing since yesterday. No idea if it's the virus or not but don't want to take any chances!

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I posted on another thread that since a lack of sense of smell or taste was not listed on other the Govt sites or the BBC, I would be extremely sceptical of it, but I see that it is now listed on the BBC on their page giving symptoms. To be more exact it says that doctors in the UK have been recording patients reporting a lack of sense of smell and that there is also "apocryphal" evidence of a lack of sene of taste as well. (Of course much of our sense of taste is related to our sense of smell anyway.)

One cheerful thing is from what I have seen it seems to be a symptom typically seen in the latter stages of the illness during recovery.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Do any of you who suspect they may have this virus have any idea where you might have picked it up?

Here, the majority of our cases so far can be traced back to people arriving from abroad.

Are you able to get tested to confirm? Especially Monica’s family who seem to be quite ill.

Here, there is a process to follow and unless you are ill after recently returning from abroad, or you have come into contact with someone with the virus, then they will not test you.

I hope you all make a speedy recovery.