Author Topic: Symptoms Question  (Read 2319 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Symptoms Question
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
I posted on another thread that since a lack of sense of smell or taste was not listed on other the Govt sites or the BBC, I would be extremely sceptical of it, but I see that it is now listed on the BBC on their page giving symptoms. To be more exact it says that doctors in the UK have been recording patients reporting a lack of sense of smell and that there is also "apocryphal" evidence of a lack of sene of taste as well. (Of course much of our sense of taste is related to our sense of smell anyway.)

One cheerful thing is from what I have seen it seems to be a symptom typically seen in the latter stages of the illness during recovery.

Since I posted the question in the other thread, this set of symptoms has been given much more credence by medical scientists and certainly my GP was clear that it ought to be taken seriously. I am still extremely sceptical about having had the virus but have done as advised and isolated myself for the allotted  period of time. I still have very little in the way of a sense of smell or taste.

Do any of you who suspect they may have this virus have any idea where you might have picked it up?

If I have indeed had it, I picked it up from people I meet in a weekly singing group. Several of them have had it quite badly and I was in direct contact with them the day before the first one of them became ill.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
Jen, I am in Australia and I believe that here they are now considering lack of taste and smell as likely to be symptom of coronavirus. My daughter has a friend currently living in London who appears to have the virus and her housemate has the same symptoms as you.

Tests are difficult to "qualify" for and it is a shame that not everyone displaying symptoms is able to get one. The logistics of having to test so many are mind boggling though I imagine it would go some way to answering questions and putting your mind at rest.  :-\

I hope you continue to improve.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
Jen & Monica & family, so sorry to hear of your illnesses & hope you all recover at home soon.

It is a nonsense that widespread testing, which could have prevented spread of the Covid-19 [as it did in the Italian village Vo Euganeo] was not taken up [as far as supplies could muster] after it was advised by the WHO.

Who knows how long it will be before antibody tests show if you have had it? Aand as length of immunity after exposure is not yet known [we never get immune to the common cold, another coronavirus] - by the time you get an antibody test the immunity may have dispersed.

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
This is what is so difficult about this virus.  Symptoms can range from being so mild you don't even notice that you have it, right up to those who have to be hospitalised.

So far I haven't noticed any symptoms that would suggest I have it.  As I have underlying health issues I need to be very careful about going out the door.  I did nip up the road to get my prescription but I told the assistant to put the medication on the counter and move away, thereby keeping the required distance away.

My good wishes to those of you who currently have it and I hope that you recover soon.  I also hope that you only have a mild version.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
I have - something, but not sure what! Slightly runny nose, occasional cough, occasional achy neck. A bit heady and throaty. Sometimes I feel worse
 in the evenings, other days, I feel fine.

I'm a T1 diabetic so it's something of a concern for me.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
I am mardy :)  with a sore throat for days now... I think  I am looking for symptoms....   I havent been out since my 2nd trip to Hospital in January   well only once for a quick trip to the garden centre which didnt go well...    I have 'Ischemic colitis' otherwise known as a 'stroke of the Colon' .. which is hell to deal with.. so if I do get full blown symptoms.. I wont bother... ee by gum what a pickle absolutely

I wish you ALL the best all of you xxxxxx  please take care xxxxx

Xinia  (blow Finley out of the water :)  ha ha )

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
I have - something, but not sure what! Slightly runny nose, occasional cough, occasional achy neck. A bit heady and throaty. Sometimes I feel worse
 in the evenings, other days, I feel fine.

I'm a T1 diabetic so it's something of a concern for me.

As I understand it, a runny nose is one of the symptoms NOT reported in patients with covid 19. So long as you do not have a fever, I do not think you need to be very concerned, or at least no more than any of us.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Just had a call from a doctor friend who told me that a friend of his.. Also a doctor.. Has died from covid-19. My friend thinks he may have it as he was in contact with the guy days before he became unwell. My friend has also been unwell for the last couple of weeks and is still in isolation.. He has just been tested today.
I was in contact with my friend the day before he isolated so it's a bit concerning but then again I've only had symptoms for the last couple of days.. And it's only today and yesterday that I can say that I feel unwell.
More worried about my family then myself tbh

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 March 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
I'm very sorry that some of you are ill or have family and friends who are, and hope everyone is soon well again. I do take heart from the fact that you're posting on here, that looks like a good sign.  :)

I'm finding this thread very interesting generally. I have read on the BBC news app about the loss of taste and smell people have experienced and as others have said, it does seem to be quite prevalent and there is mounting speculation that it may be one of the symptoms.

One of the problems with this virus is that it's arrived here at the time when people get flu, colds and all sorts of other common ailments that make us suspicious as to whether we've got it. As an asthmatic I often have a slight cough, usually not continuous but occasionally it is. I haven't been near anyone, when I take my walk on the nearby field I stay more than the required distance from anyone else but would be afraid to have even a little cough or clearing the throat in case they think I'm infectious!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales