Author Topic: Sydney Coachbuilders- O'BRIEN family  (Read 1000 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Coachbuilders- O'BRIEN family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:58 BST (UK) »

"..Sposoribus: Jacobo Burnett et Maria Whelan"

There is a James BURNETT arrived on "Strathfieldsaye" ,  1833.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
I know very little of Irish names or heritage, but if I had to guess I would read the surname of Bridget as WOOLHAN

Wolohan, Woolahan
Variants of Holohan found in Cos. Kilkenny and Wicklow.

http://www.irishidentity.com/lists/w.htm

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:04 BST (UK) »
I don't think the first letter of Bridget's surname on the marriage cert of her son even looks like a C to be honest. But it does not quite look like H either !

I agree - looks more like a W. Maybe there are numerous spellings for this name - or the priest couldn't spell.

I can't find a baptism for William. I wonder if he was born onboard ship?

Added: Cannot find passenger list for 1833 to check any births on voyage. There seems to be a gap from 1832 to 1837.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at electoral rolls and street directories for the O'Briens that moved to New Zealand.
Cornelius Charles (plumber) and wife Clara disappear from Melbourne and appear in Christchurch around 1905-1906.
His widowed mother, Jane and her 4 daughters appear for the first time in Christchurch in 1910.
Possibly Cornelius Charles immigrated first, and the rest of the family followed a few years after.

Regarding the birth of Joseph O'Brien senior around 1803 in Ireland: it seems likely that his father might have been Cornelius, which is a name that was given to his first son, and Joseph junior's first son, and also appears as a witness at his marriage. To try to get more information going back in Ireland, perhaps starting a new thread on the Ireland page might be worthwhile.

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all
you all continue to amaze me with your detective work.  Thank you for all the tips on resources available.
Thankfully there is still living memories of the family members who came to NZ: Cornelius and wife Clara, and some of his siblings.  We have photos of some of them and their graves including that of Jane Baggs - are tended (despite earthquake damage).

Thank you for all your help however should anything else come to light I would be most appreciative. I will try to follow up in Ireland.
Take care
Kia Kaha
(Be Strong)
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand