Author Topic: Sydney Coachbuilders- O'BRIEN family  (Read 2618 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Coachbuilders- O'BRIEN family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:58 BST (UK) »

"..Sposoribus: Jacobo Burnett et Maria Whelan"

There is a James BURNETT arrived on "Strathfieldsaye" ,  1833.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
I know very little of Irish names or heritage, but if I had to guess I would read the surname of Bridget as WOOLHAN

Wolohan, Woolahan
Variants of Holohan found in Cos. Kilkenny and Wicklow.

http://www.irishidentity.com/lists/w.htm

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:04 BST (UK) »
I don't think the first letter of Bridget's surname on the marriage cert of her son even looks like a C to be honest. But it does not quite look like H either !

I agree - looks more like a W. Maybe there are numerous spellings for this name - or the priest couldn't spell.

I can't find a baptism for William. I wonder if he was born onboard ship?

Added: Cannot find passenger list for 1833 to check any births on voyage. There seems to be a gap from 1832 to 1837.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at electoral rolls and street directories for the O'Briens that moved to New Zealand.
Cornelius Charles (plumber) and wife Clara disappear from Melbourne and appear in Christchurch around 1905-1906.
His widowed mother, Jane and her 4 daughters appear for the first time in Christchurch in 1910.
Possibly Cornelius Charles immigrated first, and the rest of the family followed a few years after.

Regarding the birth of Joseph O'Brien senior around 1803 in Ireland: it seems likely that his father might have been Cornelius, which is a name that was given to his first son, and Joseph junior's first son, and also appears as a witness at his marriage. To try to get more information going back in Ireland, perhaps starting a new thread on the Ireland page might be worthwhile.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi all
you all continue to amaze me with your detective work.  Thank you for all the tips on resources available.
Thankfully there is still living memories of the family members who came to NZ: Cornelius and wife Clara, and some of his siblings.  We have photos of some of them and their graves including that of Jane Baggs - are tended (despite earthquake damage).

Thank you for all your help however should anything else come to light I would be most appreciative. I will try to follow up in Ireland.
Take care
Kia Kaha
(Be Strong)
Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline melodic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 April 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi potential-cousin Blacksmithy :-)

I am researching the same ancestors Joseph O'Brien and Bridget Coolahan/Woolahan/Hallihan/all the other spellings. They are my GGGG grandparents through their son Cornelius Michael O'Brien (1828-1865 I think). He married Frances Elizabeth Chislett (known as Elizabeth) and their daughter Mary O'Brien (1863-1929) married Frederick William Gardiner (1860-1916), my paternal line.

I was searching for O'Brien and coachbuilders when I came across your post. I am on Ancestry and DNA tested. DNA uploaded on GEDMatch and MyHeritage. I am new to genealogy so unfortunately don't have too much to offer. Previous family trees have hit the same brickwall. Any breakthroughs would be very welcome!

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Melodic ::)
my apologies but I did not see your post and you may have progresses much further by now.
Cornelius Michael was the first child of Bridget and Joseph (this Joseph is my great, great great grandfather).  My line comes through their last child Joseph 1843-1901 then his son
Cornelius Charles 1869-1924, then his son
William Joseph 1904-1983, then his son
My father and then
Me!

Perhaps you can correct me with you line.  as I have Cornelius and Elizabeth having the following children:  Elizabeth 1859-1860, Elizabeth Ann 1860-1937 (married Jakins), Emily 1865-1937 (married Johanson), but I seem to have missed your direct line through Mary (married Gardiner).

My second cousin and I have been searching on and off for many years regarding this family and slowly things come to light.  Always searching for family photos which seem to be non-existent!
Please correct me with your family line - always happy to be corrected :)
Let me know what you would like assistance with. 
Happy new year
Blacksmithy

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline melodic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 15:11 GMT (UK) »
No worries, I actually only remembered this thread a couple of days ago and checked for the first time in a while and now an email pops up!

Quite an easy one to miss with such a common name. Unfortunately, I still haven't done much work at all on the O'Brien side of this line or much verification as I am focused on some DNA mysteries on another kit.

Mary Gardiner (O'Brien)'s parents are listed as Cornelius and Elizabeth in the Australian Death Index Reg #24201 1929 Katoomba. There is the birth of a Mary O'Brien registered in Sydney NSW (#1172/1863) with parents Cornelius and Elizabeth (on NSW BDM website, don't have copy).

I have DNA matches on Ancestry to another Cornelius Michael O'Brien descendent down the Jakins line as well as on his brother's Edward O'Brien's line via Eva O'Brien as well as another on their brother Joseph's line (your line) via Nancy Leith O'Brien. I have 3 DNA matches through descendants of the siblings of Frances Elizabeth Chislett.

Mary Gardiner's (O'Brien) death notice: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16610612 (as far as I know, Eileen refers to her daughter-in-law, Eileen Bieber, wife of Frederick Scott Gardiner (1893-1966) (my line), not another daughter).
Funeral notice: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/239310895

Unfortunately, 2 of Mary (O'Brien) Gardiner's children died by suicide.
Louisa Catherine Bright (Gardiner) 1888-1908: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/229929057?searchTerm=louisa%20catherine%20bright%20glebe
Henry Francis 'Harry' Gardiner (1905-1930): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16737039?searchTerm=henry%20gardiner%20katoomba (distraught after losing his mother - his father and sister had already passed)

Mary O'Brien's only other child Frederick Scott Gardiner, my great grandfather, worked at a number of Sydney newspapers including The Labor Daily, The Sun, The World, Fairfax/Sydney Morning Herald. I've been tagging a few of his articles and mentions on Trove: https://trove.nla.gov.au/search?l-publictag=Frederick%20Scott%20Gardiner