Author Topic: Photographer information wanted - T.H Blackmore (Hull, UK)  (Read 866 times)

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photographer information wanted - T.H Blackmore (Hull, UK)
« on: Friday 27 March 20 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone
Im trying to identify who the young lady in this photograph might be, and thought that knowing a bit about the photographer and when their studio was operating might help in this regard.
The photograph was taken, as you can see, by a T.H Blackmore, of Hull, UK. By searching Google, i can find other examples of his photos for sale on Ebay, indicating that his studio was located in Paragon Arcade in the city centre, but ive also found dates raging from the early 1890s, into the 1920s, which whilst not impossible (my 2x great grandfather was himself a photographer in Hull from the 1880s through the WW1), i would like some clarification on if possible?

Thanks
Adam

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photographer information wanted - T.H Blackmore (Hull, UK)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I would say this was a late war years up to the 1920s photo. In my book of Hull photographers, is a Thomas Norwood Blackmore who operated from 1888-1889 at Albion Street, which also in the city Centre. They could be could be related.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Fishyfins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the reply Treetotal, i appreciate it :) If it is who i think it is, then the 1920s fits perfectly!

You say you have a book on Hull photographers? Is this one you have written yourself, or one you own? My 2x Great Grandfather was a William Mortimer Edmonds, who was a photographer at 123 Witham from the 1880s to roughly WW1. I would be interested to hear what information you might have on him?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:52 GMT (UK) »
The photograph looks like the signature is T H rather than T N

1911 1 Wilberforce St Hull Yorkshire-East Riding. (free index)

T H Blackmore - single - photographer, born about 1888 Hull, Yorkshire, E

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TH-PQK

Thomas Herbert Blackmore of Paragon Arcade Hull, who was also known for his studio portraits, made this real photographic card circa 1915. He was active between 1912 and the 1930s and his few known postcard views display a high standard of photography and are recognisable by his simple rubber stamp mark on the reverse.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »

1901 census Newington St John the Baptist Sculcoates Yorkshire

Jane Blackmore   35
Thomas H Blackmore   13 Sidney E Blackmore   12
Fredrich G Blackmore   9 Walter E Blackmore   7
Violet M Blackmore   5 Olive E Blackmore   2

son of Thomas and Jane Blackmore.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
UK, City and County Directories, 1766 - 1946 -  1913/1919/1922 - Thomas Herbert Blackmore - 6 Paragon arcade Paragon street - Residence Place Yorkshire, England - Occupation Photographer

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 March 20 14:00 GMT (UK) »
1913 Kellys Directory shows a Thomas N Blackmore - photographer at Clarendon Street Hull

Sandra

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 March 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the reply Treetotal, i appreciate it :) If it is who i think it is, then the 1920s fits perfectly!

You say you have a book on Hull photographers? Is this one you have written yourself, or one you own? My 2x Great Grandfather was a William Mortimer Edmonds, who was a photographer at 123 Witham from the 1880s to roughly WW1. I would be interested to hear what information you might have on him?

Hi, it is just a thin paperback that is ex-library and has this:

Edmonds William Mortimer 123, Witham, 1888-1903 and 13, Witham 1908-1910-

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archives  - Obituary Thomas Herbert Blackmore - 12 April 1933

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QLSZ-WG3G

Sandra