Author Topic: John Cunningham & Elizabeth Cunningham nee Cleland [and spelling variants}  (Read 1900 times)

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good morning from Australia.

I have recently had the good fortune to locate the passing of my 3 x Great Grandparents, listed above. 

I have purchased the Register entries from ScotlandsPeople.

On these Death Registrations it is stated they were laid to rest at Shotts Churchyard.  When I go looking for this the dates do not fit in.  John passed away at Damside (Farm??) 8 Jul 1856 and Elizabeth at Stane, 17 November 1860.

Would there have been another cemetery for this time please or perhaps now known under a different name?

Thank you for reading this message, hoping someone will be able to help me with this search.

Kind regards
Judi

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Cunningham & Elizabeth Cunningham nee Cleland [and spelling variants}
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Shottskirk, more commonly known as Kirk O'Shotts Parish Church may be what you are looking for, Wikipedia has an article about it.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Never trust anything you find online .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:29 GMT (UK) »
On these Death Registrations it is stated they were laid to rest at Shotts Churchyard.  When I go looking for this the dates do not fit in.  John passed away at Damside (Farm??) 8 Jul 1856 and Elizabeth at Stane, 17 November 1860.
What information have you found that the dates do not fit into?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tbears52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 00:49 GMT (UK) »
I was not very clear was I, sorry.

When I went looking for the different Cemeteries the dates were later, when they were opened for interments.  I looked on the North Lancashire website

https://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=7348

Shottskirk Cemetery:

This cemetery on Shottsburn Road, Salsburgh was opened for interments around 1876 and covers 1.78 hectares; approximately 160 burials take place each year.

Benhar Cemetery:

This cemetery on Benhar Road, Shotts was opened for interments in 1992 and covers 1.52 hectares; approximately 40 burials take place each year.

Stane Cemetery:

This cemetery on Cemetery Road, Shotts was opened for interments around 1902 and covers 1.99 hectares; approximately 60 burials take place each year.

Cambusnethan Cemetery:

This cemetery on Kirk Road, Wishaw was opened for interments around 1861 and covers 13.42 hectares; approximately 280 burials take place each year.

This is why I was wondering if the Shotts Churchyard Cemetery would be appearing under another name.

Kind regards
Judi

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 20 09:14 GMT (UK) »
The graveyard at Shottskirk has been there a very long time and Wikipedia says that it contains some gravestone from 1624 well before the dates you are interested. The present church has been there since 1821 and replaced an older one. The Wiki article mentions a headstone put there in 1837.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 March 20 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 20 10:37 GMT (UK) »
This is why I was wondering if the Shotts Churchyard Cemetery would be appearing under another name.
No. All the others are cemeteries not attached to a specific kirk, apart from Shottskirk Cemetery which is an extension to the old parish kirkyard at Kirk o' Shotts. Before they opened, anyone dying in the vicinity of Shotts village would have been buried in the old parish kirkyard at the Kirk o' Shotts.

I have yet to find Damside but Stane is south-east of Shotts, now pretty much a suburb of the village of Shotts, though it is separated from it by the South Calder Water. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.81883&lon=-3.79534&layers=5&b=1

The parish kirk, Kirk o' Shotts, is about four miles north-west of the village of Shotts. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.84580&lon=-3.85166&layers=5&b=1 and https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS8462. It is a very prominent landmark from the M8 motorway, which runs just north of the kirk.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
In 1860 Stane was still part of Cambusnethan parish and, as usual, Forfarian absolutely correct in  her last statement, prior to the opening of the modern cemetery, everyone who lived in the parish, of any denomination or none, had the right to be interred in the parish burial ground.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Aha! I looked at the deaths index on SP and I see that both deaths were registered in the parish/district of Cambusnethan, not in the parish/district of Shotts.

Armed with that information, I found Damside. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.80203&lon=-3.83260&layers=5&b=1 - it has now been swallowed up by the expansion of Allanton.

The 1851 census lists at West Redmyre, Edinburgh Road, Cambusnethan John Cunningham, annuitant, 75 and Elisabeth Cunningham, wife 73. However it says they were both born in Cambusnethan. In 1841 they were listed at Redmyre, John aged 65 and Elizabeth 62.

I also note in 1851 that there are quite a lot of Cunninghams in Cambusnethan, including some in Stane. Could Elizabeth have gone to live with one of her children at Stane after John's death?

Interesting that a couple who appear to have lived and died in Cambusnethan were buried in Shotts Kirkyard. This must mean that they had strong ties to Shotts in spite of living in Cambusnethan, so perhaps their places of birth as recorded in 1851 are incorrect?

They do seem to have been quite good at not leaving traces of themselves in the records :(