Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 7 - Lockdown)  (Read 12226 times)

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 7 - Lockdown)
« on: Friday 27 March 20 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Continued from:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827565.0

Has anyone seen any articles about why bread is so difficult to get , apart from the previous panic buying? BBC news did an article on flour this morning but I didn't hear them say, there's a shortage of flour so there's a shortage of bread.
North East of England

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 7 - Lockdown)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 March 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »

It seems people are using cemeteries as an alternative to parks to get around social distancing measures.

Sandra
No Sandra ,just the opposite .
It would take me over twenty minutes walking to get to the park which in all probability would be more frequented than the cemetery which is two or three minutes walk from my home.
I would meet or dodge more likely ,many more people .
I would have to turn round and go home before getting there to comply with
the half hour rule.
I would be on a busy street ,even though traffic is probably much less than usual, there is none in the cemetery.
If I have missed a directive I will be pleased to be corrected, but I have not heard about avoiding cemeteries specifically.
Viktoria.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Sandra it does say people are “gathering “in cemeteries.
I am usually the only person there ,it is not big and all of it can be seen from any part.
To gather anywhere is wrong ,but to keep,moving on a half hour walk in a deserted cemetery you know pretty well for sure WILL be deserted does no harm .It is not possible to “gather”, there are not enough if any people there besides myself.
The statement in the quote is on a par  that of the policeman and the hopscotch!
Viktoria.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 March 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »

The article does also says in the text - Reports have been received of people using cemeteries as an alternative to parks to get around social distancing measures.
There are four vehicles in the small picture we can see so its not deserted.
Only hope youngsters don't start using them again now the police are patrolling the streets, We have had vandalism in one of our beautiful local cemeteries before now.
Since we have recently had mothers day, there would have been many people going to the cemeteries for that occasion anyway.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »

Has anyone seen any articles about why bread is so difficult to get , apart from the previous panic buying? BBC news did an article on flour this morning but I didn't hear them say, there's a shortage of flour so there's a shortage of bread.

Item on news tonight; Allinson's flour company are increasing production.
I was told last weekend that there was bread in 2 supermarkets in my town but there had been a run on booze. The lack of booze bothers me not; my last drink was New Year's Day.
I ate tortillas for lunch.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 March 20 00:00 GMT (UK) »
I used to walk in Viktoria's cemetery when I or my dog were unable to walk to any other green space. The number of living people in it on a normal day could be counted on 1 hand.
Playground for small children in my park is closed.  There are"Keep out" notices on climbing frame and exercise equipment for older kids in another part of park.   :(   
Cowban

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 March 20 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning RootsChatters.

Hope everyone is safe and well.  It is nice to keep popping in during the day to check and see that all the regulars and newcomers are safe and well.  It would be dreadful to see us lose any Rootschatters to this awful virus.
Lovely to hear everyone's news and stories and lighten things up with sense of humour.

Stay Safe Everyone.
Sandra

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 20 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, the photograph of daffodils is lovely,I like to see the stems too ,in a clear glass vase like that.
For my sins,but in my defence also,as a child I and my friends used to play in deep woods where bluebells grew in profusion.
We picked them to take home and never seemed to lessen their abundance.
In a Two pound jam jar( yes so many) you could see the stems ,which for me was part of their appeal.
Now I do feel guilty for whilst they still grew ,the last time we visited ,not in the great swathes we saw as children.
 I made the Milk Fadge  I mentioned some time ago, it was quite acceptable.
8 oz SR Flour.
1 oz lard.
Half tsp salt
Quarter pint milk.

Sift flour and salt.
Rub in lard.
Add milk ( a tad more may be needed)
Bake on pre heated baking tray in oven, 350-475 (4-5) for 30 mins.

It is light and went well with my home made soup of one small onion,a geriatric potato and the thick stalk of some broccoli.
Add a veggie stock cube ,a good pinch of dried mixed herbs,pepper.
Whizz up and there you are!
I had a teensy bit of blue cheese left and that went on the “ bread”.

I used a quarter of the Fadge with the soup ,a bit more with a cuppa wth butter and jam for my tea and have half left for today’s  delectation.

I need my TV programmes mag, but don’t think I will venture out.

Someone told a joke on R.C.:-
I passed an RAC van, the latest Corona Virus News was on the radio.
The driver was sobbing ,I thought “ he’s heading for a breakdown!”
I told it via phone to son  in law, his response,” Never mind he’ll make a good recovery!”
It took me a minute or two!
Viktoria.