Author Topic: Birth of Arthur Hunn  (Read 1244 times)

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Arthur Hunn
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
Yes Sue it was , his death cert. stares 20 yrs in Victoria & 25 yrs in Queensland NSW . Arthur Ward placed Obituary 31May 1918 in Alphine Obsever . This was sent to me by a Ward researcher .

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
So it seems to me that we are really no nearer to 'proving' the origins of Arthur's father.

I think I've already made these observations but perhaps others may comment.

We have a Jacob HUNN who was in Bathurst gaol in 1868/9 and whose birthplace is given as USA in one document and London in another; occupation sawyer.  This man's birthdate is given as approximately 1839. One document states he arrived 1861, per Champion of the Seas but his name doesn't seem to be ion the passenger list.

We also have a Jacob HUNN, died 1918 in Victoria, having started in Victoria and spending time in NSW, before returning to Victoria according to his obituary, written by his nephew.  His death certificate states that he was a total of 45 years in Victoria, NSW and Qld so arriving in Australia about 1873. This man was related to the WARD family.  An online-tree has information about this man, much of it from verifiable sources. There seems no record of this  man's immigration. He is with his wife, Jane, in Acle, Norfolk in any census. In 1871 Jane is still recorded as being married and living with her father.  The youngest child is aged 8 months so the child would probably have been conceived Oct/Nov 1869 - census taken 1 April 1871. If this is so then it would be cutting it very fine for him to return to England to father this child as he was not released from Bathurst gaol until October 6, 1869

Did your Arthur HUNN have contact with the Victorian Jacob?  If he did then that would seem to show that the family recognised a relationship between them.

Would be very interested in hearing from others re this thought.  Arithmetic was never my strong point so perhaps I've got my sums wrong.

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
I’ve been over & over dates . The last child born in England to Jacobs wife was not his . Two reason 1. Not on birth certificate 2 not mentioned in his fathers will .
Have not found him on census either or how he travelled to Australia . Yet the wards passage is documented . His father died 1887 his will states he had heard nothing from Jacob for over 20 yrs or more . As you can see he has been hard to sort and track .

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
Back to square 1 then.    :)

Whose will is it that you have?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:10 BST (UK) »
Jacob Hunn Father Joseph living Acle Norfolk UK . The wards first arrival to Australia 1855 Goldfinder
Robert came back to pay visit etc
1866 arrived back in Melbourne on ship Golden Sea .
However this time Robert & Harriet returned with their son Robert who was left with Joseph on first trip .

Offline PFarthegn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 August 21 06:28 BST (UK) »
Arthur Hunn, Born in Gulgong NSW, 27th June 1874 and Died in 18 JUL 1917
His Mother was a Mary Stapleton Born in Ireland in 1838 Died in Gulgong NSW, 25 AUG 1902

Although Arthur Hunns Birth Certificate states no father, Jacon Hunn is mentioned in various statutory documents relating to Mary Stapleton. Arthurs Father is Jacob Hunn (Acle, Norfolk) and I have verified this via DNA test. '

Jacob Hunn was Born 14-06-1833 Acle, Norfolk, England. Jacobs Parents where Joseph Hunn and Mary Ann Barber . Jacob Hunn Died 22 MAY 1918 Beechworth, Victoria, Australia. He died in the Beechworth Asylum. His sisters where Sarah Ann Hunn, who never lived in Australia, but his two sisters Harriet and Emma both married two Ward Brothers who immigrated to Australia and resided in Victoria.

Jacob Hunn was married to a Jane Drake in Norfolk and possibly had 8 Children one of which might not be Jacobs as Jacob Hunn Mysteriously left England and ended in Australia. Jacob Hunn lived in NSW and Victoria.

Mary Stapletons (Hunn) Death Certificate. The Death Certificate states Mary as Mary Hunn. Marys Death Certificate also state two marriages the first to a Tobias Butler or Batler, Butler the most probable, age then unknown but marriage in Bathurst NSW.

The second Marriage stated on Mary Hunns death certificate is stated as Jacob Hunn, her age 40 and marriage location Lambing Flat (now Young) NSW. I have found no marriage registration to date other than what is stated on the Death Certificate.

Jacob as with Jane Drake in Norfolk, also abandoned, Mary Stapleton (Hunn) and Arthur the date he left is unknown and ended up in his final days in Victoria, out living his son Arthur Hunn.

Arthur Hunn, married Annie Teresa Leroux Phillips (Born 8 APR 1877, Home Rule near Gulgong NSW) and Annie Hunn died in Auburn NSW on the 14 NOVEMBER 1946 and buried in Rookwood Cemetery.
Arthur and Annie had 9 Children (Ernest Hunn, Eileen May Hunn, Ethel Mary Hunn, Arthur Claude Hunn, Horace George Hunn, JACK HUNN - My GRANDFATHER, Queenie Nourine Hunn, Ellen "Nell"Hunn and Annie Adelaide "Nancy"Hunn.)

Arthur was a Grocer who worked at the Gulgong, NSW Christopher Young Commercial Store (later to become the Loneragan Store). He moved his family to Cobar and worked as a Grocer at the State Stores Cobar until his death.

Offline ESMAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 April 22 10:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much your post has finally finished his story .

Offline PFarthegn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 April 22 07:01 BST (UK) »
Jacob Hunn was definitely a hard person to connect in my family tree searches. I had a suspect and so did a DNA test that connected me to the Wards in Victoria. So with out a doubt he is the Jacob Hunn from Acle in Norfolk who is the father to my Great Grandfather Arthur Hunn in Gulgong. It would seem a lot of men and even some women absconded from their families and children to have another family somewhere else in the world.
Mary Stapleton is my current brick wall but I have some DNA niggles that I need to verify.