Author Topic: Thank you Asda (and other supermarkets) and the Lorry Drivers  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you Asda (and other supermarkets) and the Lorry Drivers
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 March 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
We have tried repeatedly to 'click and collect' from all our local supermarkets, but not one can offer a time. We are both in our 70s and I have an underlying health problem, but that seems to not be a factor. Home delivery likewise. We survive on a small stock of items plus milk and veg from local corner shops.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 March 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Steve

Have you tried registering here:

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 March 20 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, but I'm not in the extremely vulnerable bracket, so do not qualify. I'm diabetic, so probably have reduced immunity. I do have neighbours who have offered to help, so there is no panic; it's just that I was amazed that people elsewhere seem to have no trouble with delivery/click 'n collect - here in rural Devon it's impossible as there are no spaces up to the current cut-off date, which is around April 14th, and as each day comes up, all the slots are taken,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 March 20 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I've messaged you.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 March 20 23:46 GMT (UK) »
And I say thank you to Rosario and Rodolfo who have come through with fresh fruit and veg, as well as chicken, pork, milk, eggs and cheese; all delivered to the front gate with a smile and wearing a mask and gloves.  And also to Marco at the neighborhood mini-mart who's trying to nab a sack of dog food for me.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Though supermarkets here have markings at checkouts so people keep their distances, it is a free for all in the aisles. During a brief shopping trip to Aldi on Friday two people got far too close to me for comfort. I don’t know how that can ever be policed.

Here, stock varies between supermarkets, but none have had any hand sanitiser, hand wash or toilet paper for several weeks. Aldi had some toilet rolls last week but none this week. All are very low on frozen vegetables, most other frozen food, rice pasta and anything tinned. There are limits on what you can purchase of a huge range of products.

I never go to a supermarket on the weekend so can’t report on numbers out and about, but they seemed a bit lower during the week. School children are off starting this week (a week early for the usual two week Easter break) so it will be interesting to see how many tag along with parents to the supermarket.

Fresh fruit and vegetables much much higher in price and there is a noticeable lack of the usual half price weekly specials.

Igor, I hold my breath too, but it is probably a waste of time :
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/18/heres-how-long-coronavirus-can-live-surfaces-and-air-study/2863287001/
(I have seen different estimates on how long the virus remains in the air and on surfaces)

Erato, I would love a Rosario and Rodolfo. I bet their produce is top notch. Best luck with getting the dog food. We are a few weeks behind some other countries but I have just ordered another bag of dog food just to be on the safe side. There are already delays in delivery of online orders.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
Supermarkets doing their very best in NZ too with the high demand and ever increasing precautions, availability a bit scarce on some items while they catch up but most needs fairly well provided with alternative options of some brands.

Dairies are allowed to be open on a one in, one out basis and if they adhere to guidelines. ( Dairy = more or less equivalent to small corner shop stocking limited quantities of household everyday basics and confection, some are larger and part of a local block of shops ) Helpful for quick trips and my closest just a few minutes away has my choice of milk slightly cheaper than the supermarket, generally prices tend to be a bit higher and although so handy, it's not usually my first option with supermarket also nearby.

Everything is off limits and closed for grocery needs apart from supermarkets and dairies, some businesses hoping for review, halal butchers for eg as not catered for in most supermarkets. Independent butcheries, bakeries, fruit and vegetable shops closed and no cooked food outlets like takeaways and their deliveries.

Different too since full lockdown for lotto ticket purchasing, on line only and outlets at supermarkets, dairies and fuel service stations all shut as non essential. 

Erato, I have to ask if Rodolfo got you the bananas you were hoping for and mentioned on Thursday ? I've been thinking of it ever since when I've reached into my bowl of bananas all the way from Ecuador! 

:) mare

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 March 20 19:43 BST (UK) »
Yorkshire tea seems to be in very short supply.  :(
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
Flour seems to have been a desirable commodity and harder to get for all those trying hand at baking and breadmaking etc and our suppliers doing best to get stock back on shelves, as with most things that have been scooped up in NZ, the demand has just exceeded the restocking and beaten the delivery. A contact email site has also been set up to report any price gouging to be investigated, as hearing a few reports of some taking advantage and hiking up prices!!

Supermarkets usually are closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday here, announced today that Easter Sunday they will be open, so staff just one day off in this mayhem and many will be there restocking shelves. There have been some improvements to their employment entitlements, pay and leave etc and can also choose not to work Easter Sunday for religious reasons.
Truck drivers have also requested more facilities for refreshment and comfort stops, particularly at service stations where it's been window service only.

Also some exemptions now in place for ordering and having delivered essential household items only with a couple of larger chains now able to supply necessary appliances and also bedding, heaters etc to maintain health, plus some technology that applies to working or schooling from home now permitted under the lockdown protocol.

Oh, and yes  :), the Rodolfo and bananas story sorted  .. 3 different threads. Used one very ripe banana myself today for baking, halved the recipe and ample enough.