Author Topic: HMS Monarch 1880s - In Malta  (Read 2223 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Monarch 1880s - In Malta
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 April 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The guy I was interested in also was back 7th head from the right. You can’t see his full uniform just a head and shoulders.

Two look very similar to my great grandfather. We don’t have any pictures of my gg grandfather as during and after the navy he became a diver and moved to Durban to build the harbour, then died of a diving accident in 1902 aged 37. I believe all the photos were either left or taken by my gg grandmother who abandoned my great grandfather with her brother in Wales before moving to San Francisco. Odd and long story but no photos seem to exist until 1930 in that side of my family. It would have been lovely to find some of the Battens as they were all in the navy from 1780 onwards, my dad broke the pattern :)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
The chap you indicate in the back I took to be a midshipman as he looks fresh in face and the square hat indicates a young officer.  I served in the Royal Navy many moons ago and these hats were worn by midshipman even in my day.  Normally, there were two of these trainee officers on board a ship of any size.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 April 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you. My man might not be in the photo at all. I had his records to go by (attached) and found that photo and I thought it could be possible :)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
If I can be of any help in the Naval side of your research, by all means, keep in touch.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stob Ban, I shall definitely be in touch.

MJ

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ,
Was having a look at the Ship's Listings you posted and HMS Excellent caught my eye stating a Leading Seaman joined Excellent 18th Sept. 1889 and on the 13th Dec.1889 passed professionally as a Ships Diver.  Ships divers were a special breed in those days and in life they never grew too a grand old age.  I've seen many a grave-stone with a small divers' helmet displayed, all representing early departures.
Your Great Grandfather would have been 23 years old or so and the Rating was easily in his grasp for Petty Officer.  My guess is his promotion would have been imminent on becoming a fully qualified diver.
I do not know if these dates above are in line with your research but if in the affirmative then a search may not be in vain.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Stob Ban,

I am interested in researching every date and everything about Joseph Henry Batten (my gg grandfather). Nobody really spoke about him as he died in South Africa in 1902. I'd love to know more of what you know about divers back then. I have bought navy books, but all they say about divers is that they were very fit and healthy to be able to do the job. Not sure how fit he was while in South Africa, but he died of the bends or decompression sickness in an accident while building the harbour. I guess he left the navy to raise a family. What is the search you mention? He did join HMS Excellent then and was on it previously and later. I have attached his full record.

Many thanks,

MJ

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 April 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi MJ,
I was looking over your GG Grandfathers ship drafts and the first on his list is HMS Impregnable which was a Training Ship where he would have attended his basic training into the Royal Navy, which would be square bashing, splicing wire tying knots etc.  The next draft listed, being Vernon, was a training depot for underwater demolition.  The reason I call it a depot is it was stationed shore-side i.e. a shore establishment. Mind you we're still in the 1880 so I don't mean all the underwater torpedoes, class A divers  and acoustics of today also armaments, all would be nearer the birth of all these; and interestingly HMS Vernon in these days trained Royal Navy Divers.  So that would be possibly were you GG Grandfather trained as a Clearance Diver. 
I'm not doubly sure he did his diver training in 1880 but with him linked to Vernon it's more than probable he requested a divers course at a later date. In 1887 it looks to me he was an Acting Petty Officer so he could full-fill Coxswain Duties.
I do hope this information gives some real insight into the ships and ranks your GG Grandfather held.  I will go thru' more ships he served and maybe find more interesting history.

Kind Regards......................Ron.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 April 20 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron,

That's great to know more about his duties. Thank you so much for that. It's a shame there aren't any photos of him in the family. Nobody really spoke about him apart from the fact he was in the navy and died in South Africa, so this has been great to know just exactly the type of work he would have done. If you do find any more info, do let know, and thank you again.

MJ