Author Topic: 1939 register address  (Read 656 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
1939 register address
« on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Is there any way I can find an address in the 1939 register. Ive tried finding the town, but the districts are coded.
I haven't a clue where to even start.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register address
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:14 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast allows you to search by address.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm on the other one   :(
Thanks

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 March 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I doubt if even Find My Past has decoded coded districts or added missing addresses.

Tell us the address you're looking for and someone may be able to find it in the register. If not there, maybe in a street directory with a few neighbours' names you could search for if your question is "Who lived there?" I don't think the "No 1939 lookups" rule precludes telling you where to look, just not what you'll find.

You may want to get a moderator to move this thread to the relevant county forum and add the town/street to the title.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 March 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Try putting the address in Keyword.  I have just put my parents street in Liverpool in Keyword and up it popped
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
Try putting the address in Keyword.  I have just put my parents street in Liverpool in Keyword and up it popped
Yes, the Ancestry database does include proper addresses. You can see the transcribed fields if you look at the "Record". They also have occupations, so that can also be used in the Keyword box.

This makes it SO annoying that when you add a record to a tree they pretend that this vital information is irrelevant. You need to add it all back in manually.

You also need to correct the date. Americans can't believe that the whole exercise took place on 29th September 1939. Their censuses take months and need the date written on every sheet. The first sheets for the 1920 US census are dated 1917 !
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Even if you don't subscribe to Find My Past you can still search by address,it just won't let you view the full details of the whole household.You can then do a bit of cross referencing.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/1939-register

Slide the blue spot across to Address rather than person.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips, very useful, Even though the house was definitely there, there's no mention of it on the street .
It was used as the caretakers accommodation for the school next door, but at what times I have no idea.