Author Topic: West country Hollands  (Read 978 times)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
  • nipton and his daughters Cinderella and amelia
    • View Profile
West country Hollands
« on: Saturday 28 March 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to sort out what happened to my Holland family james Holland and Angelina/caroline Orchard had 11 children that ican find.from 1896 to 1915. In the 1911 cencus that stated they had 10 children 8 living 2 deceased so I think I am missing at least 1 child. They traveled around the Somerset Devon area .  I'd like to try and find out who they married what happened to them all. 
Betsy 1896
Rachel 1898 (not on 1911 census)
Henry 1899
Britannia 1900-1921
Thomas 1902 (husbands grandfather)
James 1904
joseph 1907
John 1908
 William 1910
Edward 1914
Micheal 1915.
Any help filling in the gaps would be fab
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: West country Hollands
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 March 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Use freebmd to look for marriages and deaths

www.freebmd.org.uk

To find additional children  - use the maiden name search facility here to look for a birth reg then check freebmd for a death - registration is free if you don't have a current login id

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 March 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
A number of articles in the Devon newspapers. An item in the Exeter & Plymouth Gazette, 1 Nov 1935, mentions 4 of the brothers, a "relative Fred", an "Uncle (Edwin)" and a "Daisy, prisoner's wife" (ie. Edward).

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
A number of articles in the Devon newspapers. An item in the Exeter & Plymouth Gazette, 1 Nov 1935, mentions 4 of the brothers, a "relative Fred", an "Uncle (Edwin)" and a "Daisy, prisoner's wife" (ie. Edward).
Can I ask where you found that so o can look it up thanks
travellers: Penfold, Holland, Orchard, Loveridge, saunders, James, Davis<br />Somerset/devon: Hawkins, Lane, Perryman, Saffin, Bowden, Warren<br />Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Webster, Gleadell, Gott, Patrick, Milnes, Beverley

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
Use freebmd to look for marriages and deaths

www.freebmd.org.uk

To find additional children  - use the maiden name search facility here to look for a birth reg then check freebmd for a death - registration is free if you don't have a current login id

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

As most of them were born before 1912  they dont have mother maiden name to search. I do have birth certs or baptism records for most of them. It's what happened next I'd like to find out

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:44 BST (UK) »
Can I ask where you found that so o can look it up thanks

Can be seen at FindMyPast or British Newspaper Archive (BNA) - both subscription/credit sites. 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:17 BST (UK) »
Please see my first reply.  Maiden names are available for births pre- 1912 on the GRO link I gave
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline matilda1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
No births registered before thomas in 1902.   

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
If they were travellers, that may account for missing birth registrations

You say you want to find out who the 11 known children married etc.  As explained in my earlier reply you would need to use freebmd to look for marriages.

You could also check the 1939 register for the 8 male children to check spouse names etc